Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 01:10 AM   #61
digitalhorizons
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Low cost upgrades/modification??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phix_06
Just like sonny said I also noticed an instant change. If you look at all the after market intakes they don't have the screen. The big thing if you do decided to take it out just be sure NOT TO HIT the cold and hot sensors. If you look at a K&N replacement filter all it is, is one big screen
OK Phix I removed the MAF screen and after running it for 2 weeks my gas mileage has actually gone down 2 MPG. I have have kept a record of my gas mileage for the past year and the past 2 weeks are the worst on my spreadsheet. I always get gas at the same place so I dont think anything has changed there. Do I need to reset the computer for it to realize the increase in air flow. If so, how do I do that?
digitalhorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 04:37 PM   #62
Phix_06
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacD997
Well, can't speak for everyone, but those of us who ride motorcycles usually use the "saftey chrome" justification speech when it comes to purchasing new products. Should work okay with trucks too.

Then of course there is the buy it and apologize routine. Believing it's easier to do it and apologize then it is to ask permission!

Here in the midwest, deer provide a good excuse for up front "protection". Ya hit one of those babies at 65 mph without some up-front protection, you're looking at serious bucks when it comes to parts replacement.

If you're interested, I have a Westin full grille brush gaurd with trim strips. It's black powder coated. I'd prefer a different set up, but it came with the truck. If you're interested, I'd entertain an offer.
I appreciate the offer for the powder coat guard but my truck is stainless acessorized. That deer probably drill a pretty large hole in your wallet. Because of the amount od deer killed approx. 1 per week the game commission has opened a list for people who would want the meat. So it's not really a matter of if your going to hit one, but when.... So I have been leaning pretty hard towards getting a guard.
Phix_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 04:43 PM   #63
Phix_06
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Low cost upgrades/modification??

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalhorizons
OK Phix I removed the MAF screen and after running it for 2 weeks my gas mileage has actually gone down 2 MPG. I have have kept a record of my gas mileage for the past year and the past 2 weeks are the worst on my spreadsheet. I always get gas at the same place so I dont think anything has changed there. Do I need to reset the computer for it to realize the increase in air flow. If so, how do I do that?
I'm not sure why your truck dropped the milage. I know when I first made the mod on my truck it dropped too but I think it was because I was spoiled with the increase in power and drove a little harder than normal. The type of gas shouldn't make a difference either. I use the cheapiest garbage that I can find considering that the Octane here is either 85, 89 or 92. The 85 runs at $1.69 ave. What kind of air filter do you have?
Old 02-15-2004, 07:15 PM   #64
Sonny01
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Low cost upgrades/modification??

MacD do you live in Columbus, Ohio? There is a Pick Up Plus in Hilliard that I go to all of the time. They want like 489.00 installed for a SuperChip programmer. Troyer at http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...catalogno=2715 has them for 361$ but if you call them they will sell it to you for 325$. I bought one from them and it works great. It takes about 10 minutes to install a new program. I keep switching back and forth between high performance and towing performance because I pull a horse trailer around.
Sonny
Sonny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 09:27 PM   #65
MacD997
AF Newbie

Re: Low cost upgrades/modification??

Sonny,

Yes, I'm in the Columbus area. That does sound a bit high for the PUPS guys. But then, that's not all that unusual.

For guys like me when it comes to the electrical end of things - it's sometimes easier to pay the money upfront for the product and install than it is for me to try and do it myself and then have someone fix it. Ran into that problem big time when I replaced the entire ignition system on my 92 Blazer. By time I finished, it cost me nearly $400 to get everything diagnosed and corrected. ABOVE the parts already purchased and my time to install them. Plus the down time on the truck. That was a big live an learn for me.

Guess what I'm saying is sometimes "price" isn't always the determining factor for me depending on what I'm buying.

The guys at Pick Ups Plus have my confidence and it's worth a bit more.
MacD997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 09:47 PM   #66
Sonny01
AF Enthusiast

I know what you mean about letting someone that knows what they are doing install/repair something. I have tried the do-it-yourself thing too many times and have ended up in disaster. I tried to fix my wiper motor, broke the windshield, then found out it was the wiper delay circuit board in my last truck HeHe. Dusty usually takes care of me at Pick-Ups Plus. I have friends that buy all they truck stuff from them also. They really know trucks. I'm real glad they are so close to my home. It's hard to find good advice/products now a days.
Sonny
Sonny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 05:55 AM   #67
digitalhorizons
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Low cost upgrades/modification??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phix_06
I'm not sure why your truck dropped the milage. I know when I first made the mod on my truck it dropped too but I think it was because I was spoiled with the increase in power and drove a little harder than normal. The type of gas shouldn't make a difference either. I use the cheapiest garbage that I can find considering that the Octane here is either 85, 89 or 92. The 85 runs at $1.69 ave. What kind of air filter do you have?
I have a K & N. I know what you mean by driving it harder, and I did that the first week so I just chalked that one up to that, but last week drove it like I normally drive it.
digitalhorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 10:22 AM   #68
Phix_06
AF Regular

Keek an eye on the milage. I also keep a log of gas and when I first did the mod the milage went downbut the truck self compinsated. One thing that I also noticed is that my RPM's are running a ton lower. at 40 to 50 they are about 1000 to 1200 and it take me 80mph to push 2000 rpms. So i think the computer will adjust to the change on its own, it might just take a little to recognize the changes. As far as the gas miles in city I run between 14-16 and highway its all over the place 18-28. On the 28 I almost got 600 miles to the tank. But let me know what you get or if it gets better
Old 02-17-2004, 04:53 AM   #69
MacD997
AF Newbie

should it be taken in and adjusted or put on a "terminal" and adjuted instead of letting it self-adjust?
MacD997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 11:22 AM   #70
jeverett
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to jeverett Send a message via AIM to jeverett Send a message via MSN to jeverett Send a message via Yahoo to jeverett

600 miles to the tank!!!!! PLEASE let me in on your secret!!!! my 99 only gets like 320-340
jeverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 02:43 PM   #71
Phix_06
AF Regular

The 600 was highway from VA beach to Detroit the total trip is 690 and I had to fill up just outside of toledo. I was shocked as well. In city I ave 370 to a tank. Your truck looks just like mine but I have the ext cab
Old 02-17-2004, 02:45 PM   #72
Phix_06
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacD997
should it be taken in and adjusted or put on a "terminal" and adjuted instead of letting it self-adjust?
I'm just basing the self adjust off of my truck. It did it on its own and I really noticed the milage increase and the rpms dropped. You might need to have it adjust but it should do it on its own...
Old 02-17-2004, 08:27 PM   #73
Phix_06
AF Regular

Alright, in additnio to the Mass Flow Sensor screen removal I Have just continued the Free mod upgrade. In an earlier response some one suggested Cutting out the walls of the lower filter box, after about an hour of self prep time I decided to give it a try. "What the Hell"!!! I pulled off the lower mount box with ease and after looking it over decided to remove the air intake tube at the bottom and pulled off the other intake panel just above it. Then on the back side of the box, ( the side facing the antifreeze container ) I drilled a hole large enough to get my sawzall into it and removed a large portion of the side. I then sanded the rough edges to remove any small shards that could puncture the filter. I didn't remove the other side because of all the off-roading that I do I figure that it would keep any large amounts of water from reaching the filter itself. I then repalced everything any tried it out, let me tell you that my milage will be terrible this time because I have been punching it a ton more to try it out. I didn't notice an immediate increase at take off, it was once I got going that i notice the increase in power. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Give me a couple more tanks of gas to have fun with and then I will let you know how the milage went
Old 02-18-2004, 11:23 AM   #74
jeverett
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to jeverett Send a message via AIM to jeverett Send a message via MSN to jeverett Send a message via Yahoo to jeverett

So far I've installed a Hypertec, done the throttle-body bypass, installed a K&N FIPK, a 40 series single in, dual 2½ out flowmaster, and I don't really tell any difference in mileage. I had removed the screen prior to installing the FIPK, but have since then been told some horrible stories, so I put mine back in. Is there something I'm doing wrong here?
jeverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 01:11 PM   #75
Phix_06
AF Regular

What are the average prices for exhaust systems. I would like to get on but I have to make sure that it is stainless steel system

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K