Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 11:03 AM   #46
okie-chevy-man
Banned

Send a message via MSN to okie-chevy-man Send a message via Yahoo to okie-chevy-man
open it? to get more air in? try a hole saw and have a perfectly round clean hole
okie-chevy-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 01:56 PM   #47
Phix_06
AF Regular

Re: Low cost upgrades/modification??

Some one suggested cutting the sides of the bottom off. It might work but it is kind of expensive if you make an error
Phix_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 07:00 AM   #48
MacD997
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Low cost upgrades/modification??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phix_06
Good deal if I get anything I will post it. Hey what is the easiest way to open the bottom of the air filter box I know some people used a hacksaw but I'm a little sceptical about taking it to the meat market.
I would think a Dremel tool or something similar would work. You could take a hole saw drill and do large holes in all four corner areas. It's a trick we used a lot on motorcycles.

If you haven't already, you might want to consider removing the screen on your MAF. That'll do as much good, if not more, than just opening up the box. May also want to add a free flow filter, if you haven't alread.

Just some thoughts.
Norm
MacD997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 08:10 AM   #49
Phix_06
AF Regular

Thanks for the info. I allready removed the screen and did notice quite an increase in Gid E Up but you know that once you start messing with something, untill all ideas are exhausted, just have to keep messing with it
Old 02-12-2004, 08:37 AM   #50
okie-chevy-man
Banned

Send a message via MSN to okie-chevy-man Send a message via Yahoo to okie-chevy-man
you can pick up a K&N for your truck for $38. i am ordereinf the FIPK (Fuel Injection Performance Kit) from K&N for $219.
okie-chevy-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 08:51 AM   #51
Phix_06
AF Regular

When I removed the screen I also replaced the filter with the K&N. so i'm not sure what made the greatest increase but it was noticable not only in power but gas milage went up too. I though about getting a supercharger but gas prices are toooooo high here
Old 02-12-2004, 09:01 AM   #52
MacD997
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Re: Low cost upgrades/modification??

Quote:
When I removed the screen I also replaced the filter with the K&N. so i'm not sure what made the greatest increase but it was noticable not only in power but gas milage went up too. I though about getting a supercharger but gas prices are toooooo high here

Have you thought about going to the "superchip". Pick Ups Plus carries them here in Columbus. From what I understand, unlike other performance chips, this one actually enhances things across the full power range, not just the top end.

That would be a long range "investment" thing that would allow you to make peformance enhancements as you make additional modifications.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:42 AM   #53
Phix_06
AF Regular

How much would a chip set me back? Does it just reprogram the truck comp and what can it change?
Old 02-12-2004, 10:18 AM   #54
MacD997
AF Newbie

Call these guys. Ask for Kyle. If I remember right they are around $300+. My brochure is at work. But Kyle should be able to fill ya in. They are great folks.

614-529-1212

I just spoke with him and he's not sure if there is any detail info on the PUPS web site. That address is www.pickupsplus.com

Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:11 PM   #55
Phix_06
AF Regular

Can you replace stock fog lights with aftermarket lights, and will it work the same
Old 02-12-2004, 10:26 PM   #56
MacD997
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Low cost upgrades/modification??

Quote:
Can you replace stock fog lights with aftermarket lights, and will it work the same
As long as your using the systems wiring harness, there should be no difference in how they work. A bit curious though on why you'd want to replace the stock units. 55 watts is max for legal highway use.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:00 PM   #57
Phix_06
AF Regular

The legallity of the lights are not really a consern, msot aftermarkets are usually within standards of all states. A lot of it is repalcement costs. I have seen AM lights fo 40 for the pair when a solo stock light runs around $50.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:32 PM   #58
MacD997
AF Newbie

Looks like the question then becomes a matter of cost and quality. Hella and PIAA are the best on the market. Solid cases and the PIAAs come with in-line fuses. Not sure on the Hella. THe PIAAs would have models that should fit your stock mounting holes and wiring. The Hellas, mostly large round systems, may not be easy for AM fitment.

Myself, I'm looking at adding a set of amber lights to my grille guard. Leaving the stock lights as is.

The respective web sites should be able to tell you about matching your stock wiring harnesses.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:12 PM   #59
Phix_06
AF Regular

I would love to get a stainless brushguard for my truck but the wife veto's it each time that I ask. Any Suggestions on how to surpass congrass. If I get it life would be sooo much easier i could just mount the lights on the guard itself
Old 02-13-2004, 04:46 PM   #60
MacD997
AF Newbie

Well, can't speak for everyone, but those of us who ride motorcycles usually use the "saftey chrome" justification speech when it comes to purchasing new products. Should work okay with trucks too.

Then of course there is the buy it and apologize routine. Believing it's easier to do it and apologize then it is to ask permission!

Here in the midwest, deer provide a good excuse for up front "protection". Ya hit one of those babies at 65 mph without some up-front protection, you're looking at serious bucks when it comes to parts replacement.

If you're interested, I have a Westin full grille brush gaurd with trim strips. It's black powder coated. I'd prefer a different set up, but it came with the truck. If you're interested, I'd entertain an offer.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K