Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-02-2001, 08:29 PM   #31
G-Forces
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by G-Forces
If you can buy an F1 what the hell are you doing on Automotivefourms? Damn I'd be out renting a track and driving that bad boy.
I had added the second part to make it appear nicer. I still think anyone who can afford an F1 wouldn't even bother with online forums.

BTW can you even buy an F1 and drive it legally in the US? Isn't there a 2 year waiting list for this car?
G-Forces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 08:33 PM   #32
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
I know the McLaren F1 is on the US DOT's Show and Display approved list. I'm not sure if that means it's only allowable to import for show and display...
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 09:40 PM   #33
blatch
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to blatch Send a message via AIM to blatch
kbslacker always pulls up the dirt!!! wahoo!

blatch likes caffeine.
blatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 05:07 PM   #34
kris
Off playing with fire.

Well guys, I think we hurt his feelings. I am not one to share PM, but this one is good:

Quote:
Originally sent by 2cooljay
Hey thanks a lot. Due to your post i recieved 25 emails today. All members of AF. I thought that the people on the boards would take it as joke i guess they have no sense of humor. All of these emails are inappropriate and unnecessary. I wish to terminate my membership. Thanks alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean, dont get me wrong, I feel very bad for making a member want to terminate their account with AF. But this was a little much. Here is what I replied with:

Quote:
Replied by me
Dude, your very much welcome. I really enjoy making someone look like a dumbass, for lying about something like that. People deserve not to be led on. I will admit, at first, I was pretty excited to have a F1 owner on the boards. I mean, we have a good 10 Lambo owners, which is pretty nice. But when I person comes on to try and deceive people about something like that, the people need to know. You are nothing more than a attention starved person.

Kris

Oh, one other thing for the rest of you. Please play nice when you email him. We dont want to hurt his feelings anymore. :hehe:
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 05:16 PM   #35
328isRob
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to 328isRob
Nice catch super sleuth. Love to see them BUSTED!!
Old 12-03-2001, 08:06 PM   #36
2cooljay
AF Regular

hey guys i'm sorry for lying. It was just a joke that got a little out of hand. I thought you guys would have figured out that it was a joke a little sooner. That was a real local car from fox valley motor cars but it isn't mine. I don't own the dealership. I just go there to check out the awsome cars. They let me sit in them once in a while but they wouldn't let me sit in the mclaren though. Here are the real facts about me: im an 18 year old college freshman studying mechanical engineering and i live in chicago. I don't own a car yet. I've been saving and almost have enough for one. I truly apologize and hope that you can all forgive me. I just hope that you guys forgive me and stop sending the harassing emails.
2cooljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 08:08 PM   #37
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
You're cool with me.

So those are your pics of the McLaren? I would have been impressed with just that! What other cars do they have?
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 08:10 PM   #38
kris
Off playing with fire.

Quote:
Originally posted by 2cooljay
I just hope that you guys forgive me and stop sending the harassing emails.
We will, and the emails need to stop. If they continue, foreward them on to me.
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 08:17 PM   #39
2cooljay
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by jay@af
You're cool with me.

So those are your pics of the McLaren? I would have been impressed with just that! What other cars do they have?
well they have 4 2001 lamborghini diablo's
2 2001 360 modenas
like 4 vipers
a bentley
i think 2 acura nsx's
A few lotus's
a shelby
they have more than that, i can't recall exactly what they have cause i haven't been there for about a month. You can check out there website they have a live camera that will show all the cars they have. They have more diablo's but they vary in year. the website is: www.foxvalleymotorcars.com
2cooljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 09:00 PM   #40
Adam
AF Enthusiast

after reading this thread I see you got a neat little welcome to AF.

enjoy your stay, and in a month for now this thread'll probably be history.

So, make sure you don't own a Pagani Zonda C12 too!!!

Welcome to the boards!!!!
Old 12-03-2001, 10:27 PM   #41
JE123
AF Enthusiast

I would have to say that I actually believed you. Maybe one day it will actually happen. At least you get to see those cars. There aren't any dealerships around here with cars like that. I am suppost to be going to Chicago for a school field trip sometime in either April or May. Maybe I will see my first Ferrari or Lamborghini, or heck even a McLaren. You just never know.

I also want to become a mechanical engineer. I am a senior in high school and am thinking about going to Tennesse Tech.
Old 12-04-2001, 10:35 AM   #42
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
A also kinda believed you (I will believe lots of stuff at first, then I question it later. Usually just in time, tho )
Old 12-05-2001, 08:01 AM   #43
tigerirons
AF Regular

I know the F1 is a 1+2 seating configuration with the driver's seat and controls in the middle, but I'm curious what kinda of lateral support and road perception this location gives to the driver. Also, with people in the car, is it very difficult to see other cars on the road/blind spot???
tigerirons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 12:52 PM   #44
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
The seat is a very supportive throne. And when driving alone, it is the optimal driving position, as you can easily judge where the car is.

And you dont buy an F1 for visibility!
Old 12-09-2001, 11:05 PM   #45
XOTech
AF Regular

McLaren - Importing

Importing the McLaren is no easy, nor cheap task, but it can be done. There are currently 9 McLarens here in the US. There are others that are currently on the request list for Show & Display approval. The process of Show & Display approval is quite involving as well. It entails a DOT exemption, but does not provide an EPA exemption. As a result, all McLarens that come into the US must pass that model year EPA testing. As some may know, 1996 was the advent of the OBDii system in all domestic or imported cars. That system is manditory. The McLaren, the most advanced roadcar yet, does not have the OBDii system specifically. Despite the fact that the car monitors such parameters that would make any normal automechanic's head swim and that (as previously pointed out by other replies) the car has the capability to communicate with the McLaren factory via a connected phone line and an onboard modem. This system allows McLaren to download the on board telemetry system to get a proper idea as to the car's operating vitals.

Suffice to say, the McLaren far outperforms any OBDii system, but it cannot be read by the local auto shop with the standard OBDii plug as found under the dash of all other cars here in the US, 1996 and newer. All that said to simply point out, that currently only 1994 and 1995 McLarens are allowed for importation. That exclusion of 1996 and newer McLarens is a short lived problem as someone will develop a "piggy-back" system that will translate the onboard data acquisition information into the required OBDii format.

The total cost to import a McLaren (1994-95) is about $100,000. The 1996-newer cost is not available yet, as the system has not yet been approved by the EPA, but I expect it will run around $120,000 (maybe slightly higher). The process takes about 2 months. I have brought a car in through the whole process in about a week and a half, but that is not cheap. As far as a waiting list, the only wait is finding the right car for the owner. There are only a few cars out there that are ever for sale at one time.

As required by DOT, the two passenger seats must be removed and are not approved for reinstallation. Most owners put them back in anyway as would I.

The Show & Display is for the owner of the car only, not for dealers that want to bring the cars in for resale. If any car that is already here is resold upon importing, the new owner must refile for Show & Display. There is no need for the import cost as it already passes, but it must be retested, which has some cost associated with it, (about $30,000). It is quite expensive to live in the fast lane.

...Just a little information for all the McLaren enthusiasts out there. That should answer some of the questions as of late regarding bringing a McLaren into the US.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gall4sml.jpg (11.6 KB, 483 views)

Offerings of the Ferrari F50, Enzo to the 250 GTO, Lamborghini 350GT to the Murcielago, Jaguar XJ220 and XJR-15 to the Mercedes CLK GTR, Porsche GT1 and Carrera GT, Bugatti EB110 and Veyron and everything in between.
And of course, the McLaren F1. Anywhere worldwide.
XOTech is offline   Reply With Quote