Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:42 AM   #31
Dexter Models
AF Regular

Re: Ford Focus WRC 10 1/24 SIMILR

And soon, if you like Valentino Rossi's cars...

Old 03-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #32
racer93
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Models View Post
And soon, if you like Valentino Rossi's cars...

Ok, now you've forced my hand. I *must* buy this kit to do this version. I love it!

Pardon my ignorance, but I assume Dexter will be making it?

Last edited by racer93; 03-30-2011 at 03:18 PM.
racer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #33
The Sheene Machine
AF Enthusiast

This is brilliant news Bob....will the decals carry the correct flouresence as per the actual car? For example, the strip across the windscreen, 46's etc. For me this is a very important factor in the success of the model.

Can't wait for these....will have to buy a set or two...the best Rossi WRC car by far. Any plans to do the Rally GB version from 2008??
The Sheene Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #34
sam01contact
AF Enthusiast

THIS IS AWESOME!! I will build this model FOR SURE!! Nice work with the decals!!
sam01contact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:05 AM   #35
spede
AF Newbie

Finally got mine

Very quick shipment from Belgium, kits (I ordered two) were sent on Friday or Thursday from Belgium and they arrived on next Tuesday

Unfortunately another kit has clear parts missing, hopefully just forgot that part frame somewhere, I need to check out every place once more before contacting Domino.

According those earlier photos, quality looked nice at first. Unfortunately after having closer look, things didn't look as good anymore. Casting/molding reminds me more about Heller or Fujimi kits than Tamiya/Hasegawa kits. Overall quality isn't as sharp. But shouldn't forget that SimilR is "green", inexperienced and small, in this business and therefore they've got still a lot of to learn.

Let's have a closer look and ruhless analysis

There is a couple of mistakes, but well, which kit wouldn't have?

Some holes at seats, gonna need some putty. Also detailing of the seats looks too simple.

Many joints looks too low or they even totally fade which means that some engraving must be done before painting.

Tyre pattern looks good but sides are a little flat?

Ouch, headlamps doesn't fit well, there was such a gap in both kits.

Seatbelts, well, luckily it's easy to replace them with some nice aftermarket PE seatbelts.

Windscreen wipers looks rough, maybe these could have been done as PE parts?

Ejectorpoints are a bit deep.

I think that they should have done taillight bulbs /light inserts. Now both the taillight lenses and light inserts are completely plain. Also the implementation of boot handle/ register plate lamp lid is weird, Don't understand why it is separate part, and there is no alignment pins. No place for Ford logo either.

Door panels are ok, but there is no panels at the back of the car. Scratchbuilding...

Something missing from the A-pillar. Well, that black area, "triangle" is done as decal, but I don't think that it is enough. And one joint is missing. Door fitment is actually OK but I would have preferred inseparable doors.

Fenders seems to be a little wider the ones in the real car, don't they? Anyway, for example Tamiya use to make their kits usually little wider than they should. Maybe for better looks?

Of course some positive points too:

Excellent and sharp detailing of interior.

Rims looks nice.

Carbonfibre decals looks perfect, usually carbon fibre decals looks too pale. And printing quality of decals is avesome.

Interesting point is also that it's possible to use this kit as a donor kit for correction of Hasegawa's Focus WRC 03'-05'. This 3.generation of WRC Focus' used same rear suspension and parts of rear chassis as 2. gen Focus. Also parts of rollcage can be used and Seats too + other smaller parts. Haven't checked out measure differences yet. As some might be aware, Hasegawa hasn't remade the chassis and rollcage for 2003 WRC Focus but used 1. gen WRC's parts which is incorrect.

Anyway, I want thank SimilR for this new rallycar kit, even with it's little errors. Don't take my words as discourtesy but as constructive feedback from a modeller. Hopefully we will see new products from you soon. Probably modern rallycars but wouldn't mind to see some older ones though (Audi quattro S1, someone, PLEASE; PLEASE; PLEASE.... :-D)

Last edited by spede; 03-31-2011 at 06:00 AM.
spede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spede For This Useful Post:
Asmenoth (07-31-2011), eugene78 (04-14-2011), yelo (04-10-2011)
Old 03-31-2011, 02:42 PM   #36
rallymaster
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for the review.
I always thought many people were going too fast talking about Tamiya identical quality, but the kit is quite good from what we can see, even if the imperfections are quite noticeable too (clear parts fitment, body lines lack or missing, and most of all this suprising too wide fenders...).
could you please take a look at the rear wing and report here if as I think from the first sight the rear wing sides are too flat and straight and not round enough or if it's only an optical effect on ths pics ??

rallymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #37
spede
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallymaster View Post
could you please take a look at the rear wing and report here if as I think from the first sight the rear wing sides are too flat and straight and not round enough or if it's only an optical effect on ths pics ??
You're right, haven't looked the rear wing before you mentioned about it. There might be something wrong with sills also, gonna take photos tomorrow. Also found out lack of a couple of parts, gearlevers on the steering wheel and fueltank covers, which are included in the Renaissance's PE set, luckily.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:41 PM   #38
rallymaster
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by spede View Post
You're right, haven't looked the rear wing before you mentioned about it. There might be something wrong with sills also, gonna take photos tomorrow. Also found out lack of a couple of parts, gearlevers on the steering wheel and fueltank covers, which are included in the Renaissance's PE set, luckily.
Ok, thanks for this additional informations, will appreciate news pics !
I'm a bit confused to see they did so big mistakes while in the same time looking for good details...
Some things are not impossible to fix and are only strange conception choices or unperfect manufactering issues, but a deformed rear wing or so big fenders, that's clearly a lack of attention to accuracy on something easy to look at.
But it's good to have this kit though, anyway the Renaissance model is completly false as already stated here and cost 3/4 times this model !!
it's a new brand, it deserves our support, would it be only because almost all other ones have forgotten what rally is !!
I hope the brand will give its best attention to accuracy and manufactering expectations, if they do they could quickly become, and belkit too, the leading rally kits brands.
I ordered mine, can miss this one, enough perfect for me or not, nothing never is anyway

rallymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:33 AM   #39
Dexter Models
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer93 View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but I assume Dexter will be making it?
Yes and no...
It's not easy for me to explain that in english, but Blue Stuff is a new label of Dexter Models.
In the future, Dexter Models will produce only special T/kits and other things in very limited production (Like Honda RC-30 Le Mans 2009).
These products will be too expensive to produce (due to limited quantity), to be sold through retailers...Too high price for the final customer
So they will be available only on my web site.

So products like decals, PE parts and others small things will be sold under Blue Stuff label and available in all web shops (I hope of course...)
Rossi's decals for Focus will be sold under Blue Stuff...(But draw by me )

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sheene Machine View Post
This is brilliant news Bob....will the decals carry the correct flouresence as per the actual car? For example, the strip across the windscreen, 46's etc. For me this is a very important factor in the success of the model.
Can't wait for these....will have to buy a set or two...the best Rossi WRC car by far. Any plans to do the Rally GB version from 2008??
Yes of course, I will do the fluo yellow sun visor and also the single "Beta" logo, if some modelers want to paint the windscreen to match perfectly the fluo yellow of the body.
And also the Rossi's logos with all fluorescent colours, "M" Monster logo with 4 shade of yellow/green...Well, a decal sheet with at least 15 colours !

No plans to do real rally cars liveries, but 2008 Rossi's Focus is also in progress.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:47 AM   #40
spede
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallymaster View Post
Ok, thanks for this additional informations, will appreciate news pics !
I'm a bit confused to see they did so big mistakes while in the same time looking for good details...
Some things are not impossible to fix and are only strange conception choices or unperfect manufactering issues, but a deformed rear wing or so big fenders, that's clearly a lack of attention to accuracy on something easy to look at.
Here you go, some pics of the rear wing and couple of others also.

Sills looks too high in SimilR's Focus, maybe?

Rear wing, clearly far too square.

Windscreen area, notice drivers side corner, requires a piece of putty.

Nose, grille might be a little wide:

Old 04-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #41
racer93
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Models View Post
Yes and no...
It's not easy for me to explain that in english, but Blue Stuff is a new label of Dexter Models.
In the future, Dexter Models will produce only special T/kits and other things in very limited production (Like Honda RC-30 Le Mans 2009).
These products will be too expensive to produce (due to limited quantity), to be sold through retailers...Too high price for the final customer
So they will be available only on my web site.

So products like decals, PE parts and others small things will be sold under Blue Stuff label and available in all web shops (I hope of course...)
Rossi's decals for Focus will be sold under Blue Stuff...(But draw by me )
Thanks for the answer! I appreciate it and will keep on the look-out for it!
Old 04-01-2011, 08:52 AM   #42
Luis Pacheco
AF Regular

In Bulgaria the Focus used reflective tint on the windows.

What kind of material we ca use to replicate that?
Luis Pacheco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #43
racer93
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Pacheco View Post
In Bulgaria the Focus used reflective tint on the windows.

What kind of material we ca use to replicate that?
I'd try something like Tamiya's smoke with Kosutte Gin San over it (or another metal powder). This way you get the "reflectivity" and the transparency you need.

I doubt there is a film or paint out there that more accurately represents this. If there is, I don't know about it...
Old 04-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #44
Luis Pacheco
AF Regular

The metal powder could be a nice way but the effect from the inside of the window may be inadequate.
Luis Pacheco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #45
racer93
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Pacheco View Post
The metal powder could be a nice way but the effect from the inside of the window may be inadequate.
I don't quite understand...I was saying to do it on the outside of the window. (Sorry if I wasn't clear.) I don't think doing this on the inside would work well at all...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling