Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > RX-8
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 10:11 AM   #31
Be Fri
AF Newbie

I want to put the original exhaust back on......and dyno it to see what it does???? But we ran it on the dyno 4 times.....consistantly ran the same fuel/air mixture everytime. Didn't gain any more HP over 180. We even tried disconnecting the battery for 5mins to let the ECU reset, thinking maybe the computer would compensate the new "air flow". That didn't do anything. Is anybody planning on turboing there RX-8, seriously!!??? I'm in the works getting it started. I have on order the mazdaspeed body kit....I will post pics when I get them. I plan on taking pics of the whole "turbo project". But first thing first see why it's running lean, maybe the new Renesis engine runs a little leaner then the old 13B engines?? But I am lacking a little HP then it should 190hp.
Be Fri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 12:52 PM   #32
89Turbo944
AF Enthusiast

Re: We Want More Power

Doug McGill is a jack ass. Hes just out to piss off people.

And PRnPimpin what i said was just a guess, so i dont know if the stock one makes backpressure or not. So dont wuote me on that.

Yes put your factory exhaust back on and try to dyno it again. You may end up with a better result.
89Turbo944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:14 PM   #33
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
Re: Re: We Want More Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Turbo944
Doug McGill is a jack ass. Hes just out to piss off people.

And PRnPimpin what i said was just a guess, so i dont know if the stock one makes backpressure or not. So dont wuote me on that.

Yes put your factory exhaust back on and try to dyno it again. You may end up with a better result.
If that doesn't clear the lean problem up, keep checking. A new car like that shouldn't be running lean. Keep us posted. I've heard of several problems and complants from RX-8 owners, more than the typical "new car." I also think it;s sad that Mazda gave the magazines intially a version with the correctly stated power, so the magazines printed the intial performance...then mazda de-tuned the motor, etc...and sold it. It's nice they feesed up, but the car comunity already knew that the power output was lower than stated. In a lot of ways, the admission and resulting offer of cash back, etc...was a way to save face, IMO...it's a pretty car for the most part, I was exitied when it first was released and the initial performance was printed. It's kind of sad it doesn't have the orginal power output, etc. The thing can handle, that extra power would have made it one heck of a ride.
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 11:22 PM   #34
Be Fri
AF Newbie

I have alittle over 7000 miles on the RX-8, Purchased in Aug '03. No problems with it. I have heard of some of the problems that people are having the sludge on the dip stick, engine failure. But no problems here. So I guess we will see here soon if the back pressure helps to improve HP.
Be Fri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 11:30 PM   #35
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Fri
I have alittle over 7000 miles on the RX-8, Purchased in Aug '03. No problems with it. I have heard of some of the problems that people are having the sludge on the dip stick, engine failure. But no problems here. So I guess we will see here soon if the back pressure helps to improve HP.
Let us know what you find out on the backpressure issue.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:13 AM   #36
PRnPimpin
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to PRnPimpin Send a message via Yahoo to PRnPimpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Fri
So I guess we will see here soon if the back pressure helps to improve HP.
Good Job Be-Fri, way to take one for the team.

Does anyone think the US is receiving a toned down version of the Renesis Engine or juste a version with restrictions? I do a lot of reading on this car and I'm just spitting out ideas. I read somewhere that the engine has alll sorts of restrictors and sensors locking in the potential power of the engine in order to meet emission requirements. If anyone is in a state where the emission laws aren't as strict, I would make it a point to find out exactly where the restrictors and sensors are and remove them. This at least should put us back to 247 at the fly wheel. I don't know about the wheels though.

I know some states a Cat. isn't required. If emissions is what's locking up these cars, this shouldn't be a problem in those states.

Here's a side question. Are there any after market cat converters that would be more efficient at burning up pollution or are we stuck with he stock ones that remain on our casr?
PRnPimpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 03:39 PM   #37
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Re: Re: We Want More Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRnPimpin
Good Job Be-Fri, way to take one for the team.

Does anyone think the US is receiving a toned down version of the Renesis Engine or juste a version with restrictions? I do a lot of reading on this car and I'm just spitting out ideas. I read somewhere that the engine has alll sorts of restrictors and sensors locking in the potential power of the engine in order to meet emission requirements. If anyone is in a state where the emission laws aren't as strict, I would make it a point to find out exactly where the restrictors and sensors are and remove them. This at least should put us back to 247 at the fly wheel. I don't know about the wheels though.

I know some states a Cat. isn't required. If emissions is what's locking up these cars, this shouldn't be a problem in those states.

Here's a side question. Are there any after market cat converters that would be more efficient at burning up pollution or are we stuck with he stock ones that remain on our casr?
I am pretty sure there are a few legel high flow cats out there...now as to whether they burn it up as well, I do not know.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:54 AM   #38
rgmcalpine
AF Newbie

Has anyone installed nitrous into their RX8 yet?

I am curious to know what happened, hopefully their car didn't propel sideways through the nearest wall.

I have to say the Rx8 is already a very fast car, especially at high speeds, but it always feels very balanced, which I really love about the car.

As a result the car is easy to drive fast. I remind myself regularly that its not my driving skill that is impressive but the car's handling.

But the devil in you just wants a bit more, especially at lower revs. It would be nice to reduce the 0-60 time to below 6 seconds. Comical statement really because I'm just over .4 of second to reaching that target

I would hate the car to become a bad tempered terrier in the wet as a result of mods. Its nice to live inside a safety bubble.

Can ask what represented mileage milestones for the running in of the car, in terms of performance and the engine loosing up?
rgmcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 06:01 AM   #39
vitararx8
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to vitararx8

i chaged my exhaust from my rx-8 and it is a difrence,a small one but there is.i race my mazda here in romania and i am pleased.of course i want more power but for the moment there is no one who can make the electronics for this cars. i gain fron the exhaust about 10 hp but i chaged the whole sistem from back to the catalyctic converter.the dealer from mazda told me thea i will lose the warranty if i changed the catalyctic converter but but with those things down i will gain 25 hp so friends with the exhaust 10hp and the k&n typchoon air filter 9.5 hp there is aditional power.but i need more ,and i descoverd turbo for rx8 but the price is verry hight $6250.http://www.speedforceracing.com/index.php
so we can hope for some engine electronics.
vitararx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 07:29 PM   #40
doctorr
AF Newbie

Cool SuperDuper.....

"I have a friend...."
who has a supercharged RX-8 sitting in his driveway.
It isn't 'finished' yet, but will be.....soon.
A few details and some e-manage to complete, then off to the dyno!
Uses a ProCharger booster, mounted where the stock airbox goes.
doc
doctorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 10:09 PM   #41
Muscletang
AF Premium User

This is what I heard from Road & Track about the new Mazdaspeed coming to the U.S.
1. the american division of mazda is working with a hydrolic turbo on the rx-8
2. they are also working with a super charger, they are seeing which one of the two is better
3. for some reason the rottary engine is great for a hydrogin car, normal engines can't make the conversion yet, still bugs being tweaked out, but the rx-8 can, expect hydrogen powered rx-8s as early as 2006
Muscletang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 01:49 AM   #42
doctorr
AF Newbie

Unhappy Hydrogen.....

Forget the hydrogen, that is 10 years away. The proposed Mazda hydrogen motor BURNS hydrogen.

There is NO possibility of a H2 burning motor. The power it takes to compress the gas is almost as much as it would produce. I work for the world's largest hydrogen producer/consumer. We make millions of tons of hydrogen a year, and it is made from natural gas and water. Takes a HUGE amount of energy to split hydrogen from water, and releases CO and CO2. Then to burn it in an engine is just a waste.

Real hydrogen power will come from electric cars, powered by fuel cells, you need a good clean fuel like ethanol or methanol for the hydrogen, then use the pure hydrogen to produce efficient electricity, and use that power to run the car.

Check out 'Ballard' fuel cells. (you may want to invest!)
doc
Old 09-12-2004, 01:55 AM   #43
doctorr
AF Newbie

Hydraulic Supercharger...

An hydraulic S.C. would be a good compromise.

'My Buddy' is using a belt driven C-1 centrifugal, with an oversized intercooler and a B.O.V.

The hold-up is the blower, it takes about 20 hp to drive it, even at relatively low revs.

'Buddy' is adapting an electric clutch like an a/c unit, to cut it out when it becomes more of a drag than an asset.
doc
Old 12-08-2004, 01:11 PM   #44
brihamlin
AF Newbie

Cold Air Intake?

Can you install a cold air intake system on a rotary engine? I don't see why not but have never seen anything written on it.

Here is link on cold air intake install:

http://www.automedia.com/autoCare/ph...1ai.asp?affid=
brihamlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 01:41 AM   #45
ls1mazda93rx7
AF Enthusiast

i know i sound like a salesman but check out http://www.ststurbo.com/home, maybe they can make a turbo for your rx8. Or you can make your own rearmount turbo.
ls1mazda93rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote