Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Forced Induction Discuss topics relating to turbochargers, superchargers, and nitrous oxide systems.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:14 PM   #16
GreyGoose006
AF Enthusiast

Re: new idea?

what i meant to say was that you can calculate the heat rise, but it will always be higher due to the fact that no compressor is 100% efficient.
it is well known that roots blowers usually operate at around 55% efficiency or so.
turbos generally get as high as 85% and can go higher if made right.

the more efficient your compressor, the better job it will do at NOT being an enormous hair dryer.

basically, i was sitting around one day and had an idea.
i asked if anyone liked it and got a resounding NO.
nobody explained why, or bothered to go into detail.
the answer was NO.
even if the idea was dumb, i would still have the sense to try to explain to the person why it wouldnt work and give examples.
granted, you guys do have to put up with a lot of idiots asking how to make their civic have 500 hp and such, but still...

anyway, to answer beef_bourito, my idea was that you would have this turbine mounted inside a metal intake pipe similar to a typical K&N aftermarket intake.
there would be a belt going to a gearbox on the outside of the pipe, which would gear up the turbine to necessary speeds to compress air.
the gearbox would have a belt that would be spun by the engine

it isnt too developed, but that was my idea.

anyway.
GreyGoose006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:23 PM   #17
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six

so basically you want to remove the rough flow path you get with a turbo or blower?

if that's what you mean, it won't make much difference because the intake runners smooth out the flow and remove much of the "turbulence"
Old 05-31-2007, 10:10 PM   #18
Black Lotus
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGoose006
anyway, to answer beef_bourito, my idea was that you would have this turbine mounted inside a metal intake pipe similar to a typical K&N aftermarket intake.
there would be a belt going to a gearbox on the outside of the pipe, which would gear up the turbine to necessary speeds to compress air.
the gearbox would have a belt that would be spun by the engine

it isnt too developed, but that was my idea.

anyway.
The centrifugal flow turbocharger on my car would cost considerably less to make than your axial flow compressor on your car. And since both compressor types only operate well at the higher end of their speed range (see the web link below), and you have unwisely decided to power yours off the engine's crankshaft--my car will blow yours away in acceleration. Because the turbo in my car is powered from the exhaust gasses, and the boost (and RPM that it runs at) is largely independent of engine speed. Thanks to Mr. Wastegate my turbo is producing full boost at 3,200 RPM and continues to 8,000 RPM.
To further damp out your enthusiasm, read this: http://navier.stanford.edu/bradshaw/.../axialfan.html
Black Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:08 AM   #19
KiwiBacon
AF Enthusiast

Axial fans are also terrible at compressing air.
They work best with large flows and very small pressure increases (i.e. a shower fan).
KiwiBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:50 AM   #20
454Casull
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiBacon
Axial fans are also terrible at compressing air.
They work best with large flows and very small pressure increases (i.e. a shower fan).
That's the long and short of it.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:38 PM   #21
autotex
AF Newbie

alot goes into the design of a turbo housing. Most of those electric superchargers that push air in are bogus.
autotex is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction