Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > GTO > Modern GTO's (2004-2006)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 01:40 AM   #166
daveshapellSVT
Specvgini

Re: 04 GTO Love it or Hate it?

i agree and disagree with some of the things that are being said. i agree that the styling and price don't match up, but as far as performance goes i think it lives up. especially the 05 GTO(400HP).. i mean how many cars out there run low 13's bone stock for 34k.. the vett keeps getting more expensive and out of reach. theres no more f-body's. the GTO is really the only thing within reach for normal joes that wanna stay american. if you ask me the real ticket was the 04 mustang cobra. priced at 34k running mid to high 12's and getting decent gas mileage. and it doesn't stay more in the family then a 20yr old fox body design.. what i've learned is that GM is slipping up and running dry on new creations so they have to look elsewhere to keep up in the world market. i'm just glad all cars aren't fucking hybrids and they haven't banned motorsports. i say be glad we have an option from the american side even if its not totally american.
2002 Mustang GT ( 4:10 gears, X pipe, cat back, CAI, Under drive pulley set, Intake plenum, throttle body, Tuned) 13.7@101mph https://youtu.be/btMHZeoZTS0
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeu...PX2WMqty2z4aPw
2015 Jeep renegade trailhawk
2017 VW Jetta TSI 1.8T
Old 08-05-2005, 03:37 AM   #167
ramairgto72

I did wonder what happened to you Jag LOL, umm yes, but I know that some engines still have pontiac numbers, making them "pontiac engines" like the Quad 4. I do not know what engine is in the Solstice... Do you think you will get one?

Ragtop I see eye to eye with you!

Autoban, I know what your saying, I do, however for me, myself I see cars with a deep mind, I see the cars engine as it's sole.

So when I look at the ChevyAussi GTO I see a Chevy with a Aussi shell and Pontiac flags.

If you were to remove anything saying Pontiac "Arrow heads, GTO, words Pontiac" on this car you would have to call it a Chevy, if you knew nothing about this car and then poped the hood you would see a Chevy engine and think it's a Chevy? right? You would not pop the hood and say wow this Buick is nice..

Like I have been saying here, you can make anything fast, I am not sold on "quick". Thanks for the remarks on my car, however you have it backwards, this car may have a paint job, but it's no "queen". I did rebuild the car from the frame, but it's been only for speed.

I have cut out every not needed for weight saveings, I even went as far to use Stainless steel bolts, and wide base lock nuts to cut weight.

It's well known that "No replacement for displacement" so if it came down to $6,500 invested between that 06 VS a lets say a 70 GTO I have to say that in a stret race the Pontiac would make the owner of the 06 sob when he/she sends in the car payment.

I will say this, when it comes down to finding a fast GM or any new car that is factory fast is hard, so I do know where some of you are comming from.

Autoban if you dont mind me asking, what years were you at GM and what was your job? I had a few questions I wanted to ask since I bought my GTO restore book.

Old 08-05-2005, 03:44 AM   #168
ramairgto72

"the GTO is really the only thing within reach for normal joes that wanna stay american"

I know you also said it's not totaly American, but dam man the only thing american on that "bastard" is the engine.

I do know what your talking about, you posted before I got to post but your correct it's somewhat a reachable car. But look at this way, it's a sad answer from GM to answer the "fast car" market.

Old 08-05-2005, 01:53 PM   #169
G-man422
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to G-man422

I like the new 2005 better W/ the dual exaust and new hood.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:59 PM   #170
ramairgto72

All GTOs have dual exaust, seems that GM it trying to make it more of what it's not.

Old 08-05-2005, 04:48 PM   #171
Ragtop_Renegade
AF Enthusiast

A 72 huh? You got an air pump on that thing or was yours built just before the EPA dropped the hammer on automotive emissions?
3Rd gen F body floor pans/camaro door skin (L)

Why is it I see so many "Proud to be an American" bumper stickers on the backs of cars made in Japan or Korea??????
Old 08-05-2005, 09:08 PM   #172
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

Re: Re: 04 GTO Love it or Hate it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramairgto72
I know you also said it's not totaly American, but dam man the only thing american on that "bastard" is the engine.
So the Tremec transmission it uses isn't American?
Old 08-06-2005, 01:42 AM   #173
ramairgto72

Re: Re: Re: 04 GTO Love it or Hate it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar D-Type
So the Tremec transmission it uses isn't American?
You know, I'm not in transmissions all that much it seems they are never really built to well. The fact that you have brought this up about this car before tells me that your trying to get every little reason to grab onto to make this car more of that it's not.

Old 08-06-2005, 02:03 AM   #174
ramairgto72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop_Renegade
A 72 huh? You got an air pump on that thing or was yours built just before the EPA dropped the hammer on automotive emissions?
No I think they started them in 75, I dont know for sure but I know my year does not have one, I would say that 72 was the last real year for the GTO, and I'm not saying that because I have one.

I built the car for speed, not a factory fresh restore. I like the 72 because of the fender air extractors (over the 71) and the hood scoops that are the biggest of any GTO, and all the scoops and vents work, nothings fake. I am not useing the hood as the factory did "as a ram air" , because of the aftermarket carbon fiber/glass it was not set up for the factory EQ, however i'm sure with some glassing it could have. I did open the scoops up since VFN had them closed off, it's function is more "cooling" then anthing else. www.geocities.com/ramairgto72

I am planning on a full glass body and front end, however I think it would be better to start again then do this what what I have since my GTO is a working car. I think i'm better off with an Morson A&M tube frame with the full glass body, all I have to do is find a "no hope GTO" for it's VIN and body tag plates.

Is that a 68 or 69 GTO rag top avatar?

Old 08-07-2005, 12:59 AM   #175
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: 04 GTO Love it or Hate it?

Quote:
You know, I'm not in transmissions all that much it seems they are never really built to well. The fact that you have brought this up about this car before tells me that your trying to get every little reason to grab onto to make this car more of that it's not.
Does Tremec build poor transmissions or something?
Old 08-07-2005, 01:25 AM   #176
ramairgto72

Tremec + 520Hp makes for a short life, add forced induction or even just great traction and the number gets lower.

I cant even say that my beloved TH400 will handle those power numbers unless I put large amouts of money into it, well I kinda did, but I don't think it will take over 600hp.

It just seems to me that high powered cars should have a lenco tuff trans, not just a trans that fits the power of the engine it came with.

Old 08-09-2005, 07:24 PM   #177
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

love or hate?
pretty much both.
I agree with these latter posts, that with nearly all the RWD disappearing, it's nice to see a GTO with one (and at least it's a full size, not like the late 80-90s LeMans). But Pontiac could have definitely made her with more agressive body lines, and optional powerplants.
a point was somewhat made earlier though (I think it was RamAirGTO) concerning, this is at least attainable by the average joe, but joe will still have his $34K ride squashed against a tiger of olde if someone's dumped $3-5K in the old goat, areodynamics, and sleek looks means diddly.
I definitely miss the old warriors, and GM did an ok job of somewhat rekindling, but I feel missed the mark because Pontiac was supposed to be out of the box, cutting edge, pushing the envelope (whatever you'd like to say), thinking. then that thinking went to the drafting boards; and then it hit the streets...
red dash illumination, hood tachs, more engine/trans combos than the big three's entire line-up, raw looks, and turning stock 1/4 mile times as well as, or better than some of the new&improved&up-to-date cars of the future, without curves, with plenty of iron and steel, and could melt PolyGlas rubber on demand. These are the cars I think alot of us were hoping for...
so although the new GTO is nice enough for contention in today's line-up, I think I'll save myself a car payment, and head to the recycling yard; and hope for a Tempest or LeMans with badges.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:04 AM   #178
rzkz8k
AF Newbie

Quote:
The engine (LS2) is made in Canada. I think the only parts on the GTO made in America is the rear end.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:42 PM   #179
ramairgto72

If thats true, the only thing made in the US is the trans and the rear?

Are the parts shipped to the Aussis? Is the car ready to drive when it's shipped here?

Goodnight what a mess, engines from Canada, trans and rear from America, body/unibody from Aussis.

Is this how an American Legend is reborn????????????????????

Oh hell no, the only thing people can say nicely about this car is that it's fast....

How well would a 66 mustang with a SBC do at a Ford meet?

How about a mazda wankle engine in a shoe box tri5, do you think the Chevy guys would like that?

Ask yourself this, how well would a SBC in a 66 GTO go over at a Pontiac meet? Do you think it would win any awards?

This is the way I feel when I see that so called GTO with a chevy engine in it, along with the fact that over 93% of the car is not even made here.

So what that it's quick!!!???

Man it's sick, sick like seeing "Made in China" on an american flag!

Old 08-12-2005, 07:28 AM   #180
rzkz8k
AF Newbie

Quote:
If thats true, the only thing made in the US is the trans and the rear?

Are the parts shipped to the Aussis? Is the car ready to drive when it's shipped here?

Goodnight what a mess, engines from Canada, trans and rear from America, body/unibody from Aussis.
The automatic transmissions are built in Toledo, the manuals in Mexico.

The car drives off the Aussie assembly line, on to a boat, off to a port in CA, and then railed and trucked to dealers.

Welcome to the global economy.

Want an American car? Honda assembles their cars in Ohio. Hondas have around 66% of their parts foreign made, American brands use around 30% of foreign made parts.