Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #136
SkylineFan
AF Enthusiast

Re: Jordan 191

You are a master my friend!!! This is astonishing pure talent.....

DaveT
SkylineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #137
maxone
AF Newbie

Location: Verona, the city of Romeo&Juliet and "lesso con la pearà"

Hi Jay. A little question about Ureol: I've found out here in Italy a supplier of Necuron, similar the Ureol. They gave me some "sample" of their products. 15 little bricks with several density: from 0,16 g/cm2 to 1,15 g/cm2. The question is: what density do you suggest for models that we do? (OK, I mean "YOU DO" ) Thanks. Max.
maxone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #138
sportscars24
AF Newbie

@jaykay640

Hey man,you are a modelbuilder hero.....

I really like your build everything is so clean,and all this scratch build parts,amazing.

I taught i cant learn new things anymore,but you let me feel i dont know anything.....ha ha ha

Thanks for explain us your best skill.

One question in german cause i dont know how to ask you in english:

Wie hast Du den Kopf der Lenksäule mit diesen Rillen hingekriegt,sieht einfach Klasse aus.

Vielleicht sieht man sich mal auf einer Ausstellung.

Regards Roger
sportscars24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:53 PM   #139
jaykay640
AF Enthusiast

@Max

Necuron is just as fine. I have some of their sample blocks as well :-) The best density depends a bit on what you do. For machining i would go to around 0,7g/cm³ or higher. The harder/denser the material is, the nicer/crisper the edges and details you achieve. Especially on the lathe the material will be less likely to bend away from your cutting tool when you do thin stuff.
For shaping parts by hand with sandpaper or files, a lighter variant like around 0,5g/cm³ may be better because it's not so hard ( and annoying ) to work with :-) The less dense, the less smooth the surface will be though... This can be "fixed" with primer and some sanding of course.
The stuff i use mostly is around 0,7 i think and it's a good compromise.

@Roger

Thanks :-) That question also came up in my german build report so maybe you can have a look there: http://www.modellboard.net/index.php?topic=28447.165

Btw...we sort of have met at a show already :-) I was at the Frankfurt show where you showed your Cobra Daytona and 635CSI ( among other things ). Great builds!! Don't remember if that was last year or the year before :-)

@everyone else

Thanks for your comments. If all goes to plan there will be another update today :-)
jaykay640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #140
jaykay640
AF Enthusiast

O.k. guys, as promised here's more progress, more cockpit.

First of all the steering wheel. I kept the rim but replaced the centre with an etched part and some brass rivets. At the rear I also added a turned aluminium connector piece. Here are the unpainted parts, also for the steering column I showed you already last time:

I then painted it Jet Black and after masking the centre followed it with a misty layer of enamel matt black on the outside for the rough leather look.
For details I made the switches from etched washers and 0,3mm wire again. The logo decal is from the Tamiya kit.

Finally I added wires at the back and a “plug” to connect it to the dashboard ( which is probably a bit oversized now that I look at it, but it works :-)

And just to “prove”…the steering wheel mounted to the dash :-)

The next step were the seat belts. I started with ( now OOP ) F1Specialties belts which are a perfect match in terms of the hardware. The blue belt material that comes in the set however was way too dark. I ended up using some ribbon I got at the local “girls” hobby store that had the perfect colour and an acceptable texture. I bought a 3mm and a wide version. When comparing it with a Hiro set from one of my kits I realized that they supply exactly the same ribbon material.
I decided though to not use the ( correctly sized ) 3mm ribbon because at the sides it has these “lines” that don’t look right for a seatbelt. Instead I cut 3mm wide strips from the wider ribbon. These needed “fixing” of the material at the cut edges though or they’d fall apart. After some experimentation I found a way to “seal” them using a lighter flame. With the ribbon strips prepared like that I built the belts up which took ages because I had to be very careful and could only use epoxy glue which needed “drying” time at every single step.

The F1Specialties kit came with some decals for the stitching of the belts which promised to be a nice touch. However it turned out soon that these decals didn’t react to any setting solution ( including the evil red Tameo stuff ). Ultimately I melted the carrier film away with chloroform! For my next project I’ll make some myself…
For the Willans decals I couldn’t go “chemical” so I fixed them with superglue ( they are nicely printed though…better than others I had ). To blend the damn decals in I sprayed the white stitching with some transparent blue and the whole belts ( not the buckles :-) with a bit of matt clear.

The result looks o.k. but not as clean as I’d have wished. The ribbon material works but I’ll keep my eyes open for something better.
Up next I installed the belts to the seat. The seat was painted with a rough layer of matt black like the steering wheel prior to that. Seat and belts were then inserted to the rear half of the cockpit tub that has been CF’d and painted again and equipped with the little etched panels that you saw in the last update. On the left one I added a wire and plug for the driver’s radio connection.

The last missing part for the cockpit is a funny one. The gear stick looks like the Jordan design department had some fun one day and drew up something odd to see if the workshop would actually try to build it…. and when they came back the next day they had! ( …or alternatively it just got crushed by a truck and they didn’t have money for a replacement :-)
That odd one-piece slotted and bent stick needed to be done better than the Tamiya kit blob!

I used a 0,6mm nickel silver rod and sanded it to a half round section. Then I soldered two half round bits together at the ends chucked the part in my motor tool and sanded it back to a full round section. That done I could bend it open to look like the real one. The grip and the conical tip of the linkage are turned aluminium and the rest of the parts were made from metal tubes, etched bits and plastic. Here it is installed after painting:

Next up you see the headrest. I had to shorten it a bit at the bottom because it was covering up the driver’s name. It’s also painted matt black.

As you can see, the roll over hoop is already in its place too and I started to do the fuel tank details. From the inside I mounted the etched plate I showed earlier and the fuel filler itself. Both were painted with Jet Black and Gloss Black respectively.

Around the hole in the monocoque I mounted 0,6mm allen screws by T2M ( also painted black ) over etched brass washers. The screws are a gimmick but to be honest the hexagon holes are hardly visible ( even unpainted ). The fuel filler itself also got a bit of brass “glitter”.
There are a bunch of hoses and wires to come still. I started with two connectors made from aluminium on the lathe lathe and mill. Those take time :-)

That’s it again for now. Thanks for looking and for your comments once more!
Old 02-26-2010, 07:12 PM   #141
Spike2933
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Spike2933

stop posting pictures of real cars

incredible work Jaykay, I wish I had 1/100 of your talents
Old 02-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #142
JimboCO
AF Regular

Can this build get any better?! Just fantastic all around and such a joy to read/see updates.

Very inspiring...
JimboCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:12 AM   #143
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

Jaykay you have an astounding eye for detail, an imagination that goes outside the box for for finding solutions and incredible skills to execute them so perfectly.

Rock on!

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:25 AM   #144
Balls77
AF Newbie

I don't believe it, even Eddie Jordan should see this!!
Balls77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:59 AM   #145
Decs0105
AF Enthusiast

great update, the cockpit looks awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls77 View Post
I don't believe it, even Eddie Jordan should see this!!
Well there are quite a few BBC F1 people on Twitter, somebody just tweet the link
Decs0105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #146
F1Tommy
AF Enthusiast

Perfect model!! Can't wait to see the the engine installed. You are giving alot of people a higher level to shoot for. Just curious, who is your favourite modeler?? Mine in Patrice de Conto. Your model is just as good, only much much smaller. Bravo! I hope you do a full scratchbuild next.

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2010 model/photo contest-Chicago April 24th

Last edited by F1Tommy; 02-28-2010 at 04:16 PM.
F1Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:29 AM   #147
CifeNet
AF Enthusiast

This is unreal!!!!! I got so excited while going through the build reports! Keep it up, you are the chosen one!

Last edited by CifeNet; 02-28-2010 at 04:27 AM.
CifeNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:47 AM   #148
Jamme
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Jamme

Incredible job, Jaykay640!
Really beautiful work.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:40 AM   #149
jaykay640
AF Enthusiast

Thanks everyone :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Tommy View Post
Perfect model!! Can't wait to the the engine installed. You are giving alot of people a higher level to shoot for. Just curious, who is your favorite modeler?? Mine in Patrice de Conto. Your model is just as good, only much much smaller. Bravo! I hope you do a full scratchbuild next.

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2010 model/photo contest-Chicago April 24th
I don't have just one favourite modeler, and I'm sure there are many great ones i don't even know! I've seen only a couple of pictures from de Conto Ferrari models in a car mag. They were very well done but what stuck in my mind were some odd proportions.
Obviously Wingrove is one modeler everyone would name and i love the 1:43rd stuff Akihiro Kamimura, Hideki Suzuki and Steve Barnett do. There's something to aim for! I guess i could name more... This forum alone has many great builders!
As for the scratchbuild....i don't see that coming for a while. In the smaller scales there's something available to start from for most cars, so i don't really see the point. The one thing I'd love to have/do that's missing is a Bugatti T59. If no one does a good kit of that i'll have to scratch it one day :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CifeNet View Post
This is unreal!!!!! I am so excited while going through the build reports! Keep it up, you are the chosen one!
It's funny you should say that Steve. After all you ( or your website ) are responsible in no small part for me doing this :-) I've been building models since i was a kid but not F1. After college in 2001, when i had time again, i got the then new Tamiya F1-2000 kit and started to build it, thinking i was doing quite well. Then i thought about adding some details and find some pictures online...and stumbled upon your site. I was in for a shock! My attempt was rubbish by comparison ( especially the painting...) and that semi finished model is still in its box somewhere but it gave me something to aim for and motivated me to get better...
Old 02-28-2010, 08:09 AM   #150
Big Kahuna
AF Regular

Incredible work.
It's beautiful to watch.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports