Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #31
tonioseven
AF Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to tonioseven
Re: Can't get Hiro 2K Clear Coat, any USA alternative?

Excellent thread. I will make the 2K plunge this week AFTER I get a new respirator.
tonioseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:05 AM   #32
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Zonic - there is Cal Coast airbrush that sells paint materials in small quantities like 1-2 ounce containers so give them a google or PM me and I will get you a link to their website
I'm sure you are aware that most orange peel can be avoided by using correct mixing ratios with correct air pressure, consistent trigger pull and consistent distance and speed across the object to be painted. I have found the best treatment for orange peel is to do your best to avoid it in the first place
I'm not sure of your spray equipment but I have found that those small diaphragm hobby airbrush compressors "pulse" the air instead of a constant pressure and it leads to orange peel and blushing of both gloss paint and clears both 1k and 2k
When I spray 2k clears I use about 50%more thinner (reducer) than recommended by the mixing direction ratios. I find that 2k flows smoother. 1-2 light coats to seal the decals and then a nice wet flow coat for that smooth glossy wet look
Hope this helps you some
John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John18d For This Useful Post:
tonioseven (05-10-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #33
Vric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Vric Send a message via MSN to Vric Send a message via Yahoo to Vric

Any alternative for Canada? Can't get any paint nor clear to get shipped here.
Vric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #34
Zonic2001
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vric View Post
There are cars in Canada therefore, paint shops too... and each paint shop has an automobile paint supplier... that is the person or store you need to find out near you. visit them and ask for a 2K clear coat and they will explain the options. if you buy locally, you get more for the price. I just did the research and found a store in my area willing to help me and is working excellent!
Zonic2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zonic2001 For This Useful Post:
tonioseven (05-10-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #35
Zonic2001
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by John18d View Post
Zonic - there is Cal Coast airbrush that sells paint materials in small quantities like 1-2 ounce containers so give them a google or PM me and I will get you a link to their website
I'm sure you are aware that most orange peel can be avoided by using correct mixing ratios with correct air pressure, consistent trigger pull and consistent distance and speed across the object to be painted. I have found the best treatment for orange peel is to do your best to avoid it in the first place
I'm not sure of your spray equipment but I have found that those small diaphragm hobby airbrush compressors "pulse" the air instead of a constant pressure and it leads to orange peel and blushing of both gloss paint and clears both 1k and 2k
When I spray 2k clears I use about 50%more thinner (reducer) than recommended by the mixing direction ratios. I find that 2k flows smoother. 1-2 light coats to seal the decals and then a nice wet flow coat for that smooth glossy wet look
Hope this helps you some
John

I have three airbrushes, from Iwata, to a very expensive German one. I have a compressor and an air supply tank so my pressure is constant where ever I set the regulator to. As well as you, I have noticed lately that when I add more thinner to the 2k (first time I did was because I turned the bottle to much and got more thinner) I get better coat so I have altered the mixing ratios already. I also do about 3 coats as you said... so we are on the same wave. Thanks for the information anyway!
Old 05-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #36
Zonic2001
AF Regular

Quote:
I know on-line ordering is easier but I just found out that with a little re-search and finding a local store the savings are tremendously. I got a qt of 2k (enough to do many model cars) with pint of hardener and pint of defuser (thinner) for $50 including sales tax... that is a little more for what I paid the store in UK to send me a fraction of the 2k I just purchased.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #37
Zonic2001
AF Regular

and don't get the 2k automotive grade on-line... is more expensive than the local store.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #38
yelo
AF Regular

Quote:
Vric, look for that at your local auto parts store:

The clear and hardener are the same I and most of my friends in Québec use.

Just don't buy the same as I did, don't buy the solvent on the picture, ask for the right one for that kind of clearcoat. I bought that one thinking I didn't need to thin the clearcoat and would only need it to clean my airbrush, turns out I'd like to thin it a bit... I tried to save a couple bucks, i'll have to buy a new gallon of solvent
yelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #39
kans0002
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonic2001 View Post
I know on-line ordering is easier but I just found out that with a little re-search and finding a local store the savings are tremendously. I got a qt of 2k (enough to do many model cars) with pint of hardener and pint of defuser (thinner) for $50 including sales tax... that is a little more for what I paid the store in UK to send me a fraction of the 2k I just purchased.
Where did you end up getting the paints from Luis?

Stu
kans0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #40
Zonic2001
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kans0002 View Post
Where did you end up getting the paints from Luis?

Stu

PM replied.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #41
tmathew1us
AF Regular

Thanks all for the great information, everyone!!

I recently tried two part clear for the first time, but didn't realize it needed to be thinned - i.e. I just used 4 parts clear to 1 part medium reducer. It did go on quite thick and glossy, appropriate for modern show cars but not for others (older cars, race cars, etc).

I did lay it on too thick (on an otherwise great paint coat). It bubbled a bit, and certain areas were too thick. I have been soaking it in purple stuff for over a week without even a little bit of erosion. I contacted the manufacturer, who recommended aircraft stripper, but that will turn the model car body into soup.

I will definitely thin it next time. Any suggestions on how to strip 2 part clear?
tmathew1us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #42
lezdep
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmathew1us View Post
... Any suggestions on how to strip 2 part clear?
I have used 99% isopropyl alcohol to successfully strip Zero 2K clear and Zero base paints. But I have not experience with other 2K clears yet.
lezdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:37 AM   #43
John18d
AF Enthusiast

I'm not sure where led zep got 99% isopropyl ETOH but it is available in 70% also known as "rubbing alcohol" and 90% isopropyl alcohol. The 70% will not do anything against the 2K but it might be stripped by 90% isopropyl alcohol
The purpose of 2K clears is that it is resistant to most environmental and chemical interactions
As a last resort there is always sanding the clear back to a smooth surface
When using 2K clear it is important to understand that the clear requires a catalyzer "hardner" to activate the urethane clear but it must still be thinned "reduced" in order to spray it through an air gun or an air brush. How much you reduce your mixture to spray is dependent on the size of the needle and jet used
I usually use a 0.5 when I spray 2k but I never use less than a 0.3 needle and jet. I also use a trigger air brush because I can set the amount of clear "material" to be sprayed and then using a regulator to determine air pressure which allows for full pull on the trigger for a consistent even application of the 2K which minimizes or in my case eliminates the chance of "orange peel" and "blushing" that is so prevalent with a dual action air brush
One thing everyone spraying 2k clears or 2 part paints that use catalyzer please wear an industrial respirator and have adequate ventilation. The hardner / catalyzer is cyanoacrylate which is basically "super glue" and you do not want that in your lungs. COPD is a terrible way to die
John

Last edited by John18d; 05-14-2013 at 05:30 AM.
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #44
Vric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Vric Send a message via MSN to Vric Send a message via Yahoo to Vric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonic2001 View Post
For clear, I agree it's kinda easy to find. But for paint, I can't find anywhere that sells less than a pint (20oz). If I want to do 40 models of the same color, it's indeed cheaper, but that's not the case..
Vric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #45
Zonic2001
AF Regular

Quote:
For clear, I agree it's kinda easy to find. But for paint, I can't find anywhere that sells less than a pint (20oz). If I want to do 40 models of the same color, it's indeed cheaper, but that's not the case..
You are correct. For small quantity paints you need to order on-line.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling