Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 01:26 PM   #1
LouieM414
AF Newbie

2000 Silhouette Rear leveling problem.

I have read the posts on here and I have to say this is a nice place. I still havn't found an answer to my problem. My rear air shocks have maxed out to full length in the past week and now they won't release. Is there a way to get them to go back down? Any one have any suggestions on anything what so ever I can do do to fix this problem? Thanks
LouieM414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:23 AM   #2
merc81
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2000 Silhouette Rear leveling problem.

Well, at least you know the shocks aren't leaking

I completely overhauled my compressor recently. Inside the body there is a solonoid valve that releases air pressure. Sounds like it might be time to pull your unit off the car and have a good clean up on it.
There are diagnostics availiable on some of these; search this forum as I've seen the method repeated here several times.
merc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
rdh2
AF Regular

Re: 2000 Silhouette Rear leveling problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieM414
I have read the posts on here and I have to say this is a nice place. I still havn't found an answer to my problem. My rear air shocks have maxed out to full length in the past week and now they won't release. Is there a way to get them to go back down? Any one have any suggestions on anything what so ever I can do do to fix this problem? Thanks
Here is a description from the factory service manual:

Raising Vehicle Description
As the vehicle load decreases, the vehicle body raises, causing the automatic level control sensor arm to rotate downward. If the body raises enough so that the sensor arm rotates below the in-trim zone, the automatic level control sensor activates the internal timing circuit. If the vehicle maintains this condition for more than the minimum delay of 17-27 seconds, the automatic level control sensor completes the exhaust solenoid circuit ground. When the exhaust solenoid circuit energizes, compressed air exhausts from the shocks, through the airliners, air dryer, exhaust solenoid and automatic level control air compressor filter. The vehicle body then begins to lower.

As the vehicle body lowers, the automatic level control sensor arm begins to rotate upward. If enough load remains in the vehicle, the automatic level control sensor arm may reach the in-trim zone causing the automatic level control sensor to open the exhaust solenoid circuit. This de-energizes the exhaust solenoid and prevents further air from escaping the system. If very little or no load remains in the vehicle, the automatic level control sensor arm may not reach the in-trim zone. In this case, the automatic level control sensor de-energizes the exhaust solenoid after the electronic timer expires, approximately 5½ minutes. The system will then be at the minimum operating pressure of 55-97 kPa (8-14 psi).

Here is the wiring diagram:

Here is the troubleshooting chart for your problem:

rdh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette