Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sephia
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 06:26 PM   #1
ssdarling
AF Newbie

Question 2 problems, ac/heater fan & starting

Ok 1st on the ac/heater fan. I can get them to put out warm or cool air if the car is driving 40mph+, and even better if I just crack the window to create a suction. Does not matter what position fan switch is in. will not work idle to 40 mph. does any one know if it is the switch or the fan motor? 2nd problem, the car takes three long cranks to start. Had autozone check codes and alternator and battery no problem, except a code for the catalyitic converter going out. Could that be causing the problem or is it something else?
ssdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 06:28 PM   #2
ssdarling
AF Newbie

Re: 2 problems, ac/heater fan & starting

Oh and its a 2001 Sephia.
ssdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 04:18 AM   #3
cbeck
AF Regular

It sounds like the fan is not working at all and you are only getting air pushed in from the open venting on the vehicle? if that's the case I'd first check the fuse to see if it's blown (the little metal bar across the top of it) and if that's good it could be either the switch or the motor, only way to test is pull out the switch and see if there is voltage leaving it, or could check at the leads into the fan motor if you could get to it.

As far as the cranks goes, it seems like the batery needs replacing. If you have another car, I would jump it off first and see if that corrects the problem.

What's the actual code number it gives off?
Old 12-24-2005, 04:22 PM   #4
masa
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2 problems, ac/heater fan & starting

i don't think it's a fuse issue. i have the exactly the same problem with my kia.... my fan starts to run after 10-15 min of driving. it won't still run if i keep my kia running (with idle) in my driveway for 30 min. it need to be driven. so i think the problem is something else since it runs after while.
masa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 04:29 PM   #5
masa
AF Newbie

hey i know what you're talking about. it's the same here. the guy says that it might be the fuse, but i don't think so. because the fan runs afetr 10-15 min of driving. the vent air always comes thru from the time you drive.. but that's not it. let me know if you fixed it, and how hard was to do it. thanks.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:11 PM   #6
MeettheCreeper
AF Regular

Re: Re: 2 problems, ac/heater fan & starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by masa
hey i know what you're talking about. it's the same here. the guy says that it might be the fuse, but i don't think so. because the fan runs afetr 10-15 min of driving. the vent air always comes thru from the time you drive.. but that's not it. let me know if you fixed it, and how hard was to do it. thanks.

You have a bad connection in the engine compartment fuse box for the blower motor.

Next time the blower isnt working at, turn the key to the on position and go out and rap on the fuse box with your fist. IF you hear the blower motor start to run there is your problem.

What happens is the blower motor is failing and draws to much amperage but does not blow the circuit fuse and melts the harness connection in the fuse box and more than likely melts the fuse box also.

I wont get into the correct fix because it requires replacing the harness, fuse box and blower motor.

You are talking close to 1000 dollars in parts alone.

I have been working on a way to fix the problem for customer pay situations at the dealer to reduce the cost to the customer.
MeettheCreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 10:55 PM   #7
masa
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 2 problems, ac/heater fan & starting

hey thanks for the tip! i'll go out and try to mess around with the fuse box. i know it's working, so the motor is fine, right? when you said it costs me a grand to replace the motor, i was freaked out. the whole car ain't worth that much... it's like what costs you isn't the computer itself, but it's the software.

thanks again.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:04 PM   #8
MeettheCreeper
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2 problems, ac/heater fan & starting

Quote:
hey thanks for the tip! i'll go out and try to mess around with the fuse box. i know it's working, so the motor is fine, right? when you said it costs me a grand to replace the motor, i was freaked out. the whole car ain't worth that much... it's like what costs you isn't the computer itself, but it's the software.

thanks again.

The blower motor is failing causing too high an amp draw which melts the wiring in the fuse box.
MeettheCreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 06:25 PM   #9
KMG9185
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to KMG9185
Re: Re: Re: Re: 2 problems, ac/heater fan & starting

Quote:

thanks again.
if you are lucky you may have just caused damage to the fuse block.....but you should really check the connector to the fuse block located directly underneath the fuse block..... what happens is the circuit board of the fuse block with actually melt..from the high amps....

we have had problems with the A/C clutch on the compressor causing a simialar problem for the fuse block on the sedona's..... best bet is to find one out of a junk yard..... get the motor and the fuse block.....and check the wireing if you can get away without replaceing that.....

Kevin
KMG9185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:35 AM   #10
russw9
AF Newbie

What is the possibility this is just a bad blower motor resistor. I'm having the same problem-though my blower usually kicks on after 10-15min-and I have done a little reading on the net on this type of problem in general. It seems for many vehicles it is just the resistor. Purchase price from Kia is $37 but I'm sure it's cheaper if you find it somewhere else.

Also, if this sounds like a possibility could someone with a little more knowledge about this car tell me where under the hood to find the blower motor and resistor?
thanks,
russ
PS: I drive a 99 sephia
russw9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:26 PM   #11
russw9
AF Newbie

giving a few good raps seems to work. My question is should I be using the blower if it will cause my fuse box to melt or should I just replace the blower motor right now. Also-it it the blower motor or a bad connection? Seems if it is the motor you could just replace that.
Russ
99 sephia
Old 08-25-2006, 02:46 PM   #12
RickySabotage
AF Newbie

Had the same problem with the blower motor. Had to replace the fan motor. The brushes were completly worn!!!!
RickySabotage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:50 PM   #13
russw9
AF Newbie

Rick,
I'm assuming you mean "blower motor" when you said "fan motor". Let me know-cause I'm in Houston and want to get this problem fixed with the heat here.
Thanks,
Russ
Old 08-31-2006, 02:39 PM   #14
RickySabotage
AF Newbie

Ya....sorry...in dash blower motor. That's what I had to replace. I was told by the parts dealer that quite a few of them have problems. It's an easy fix, about $150 cdn for the part, put it in myself in about an hour or so!!
RickySabotage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:07 PM   #15
russw9
AF Newbie

Did you have a manual or could I do it without? I'm not a mechanic though I consider myself mechanically inclined(I replaced the A/C compressor myself). Just wondering what I'm in for.
Thanks for your help,
russ

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sephia