Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Cirrus
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 09:44 PM   #1
Nmiller67
AF Newbie

1996 Cirrus Sputters

I am having some trouble with my Cirrus when you press on the gas it sputters. Idles fine when in Park and as long as you don't press on the gas to hard it will drive fine.

I think it's either gas related or maybe exhaust related but not sure. Looking for some tips on items to check before I take it to a mechanic to check it out.

I've just tried a new tank of gas and some fuel injector cleaner and it seemed to help a bit but it is still doing it at times. Seems to go away also but no pattern to this point. Only into about 20 miles on this last full tank and injector cleaner.

Appreciate any tips
Nmiller67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 03:08 AM   #2
s17theforce
AF Newbie

fix to your problem

You have a bad REG Valve, I thimk thats what its called. Anyways I had the same exact problem. I tried everything including fuel injector cleaner. I even spent 300 bucks putting in a new oxygen sensor and a cleaning of the injection system. but that didn't fix the problem. A week of inspecting and diagnosing my car finally led to the solution, the reg valve sticks itermittently. The piece costs about 125 bucks, then there's maintenance.
s17theforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 09:11 AM   #3
Nmiller67
AF Newbie

Re: fix to your problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by s17theforce
You have a bad REG Valve, I thimk thats what its called. Anyways I had the same exact problem. I tried everything including fuel injector cleaner. I even spent 300 bucks putting in a new oxygen sensor and a cleaning of the injection system. but that didn't fix the problem. A week of inspecting and diagnosing my car finally led to the solution, the reg valve sticks itermittently. The piece costs about 125 bucks, then there's maintenance.
Awesome tip. Thanks a ton.

If you happen to see this one can you tell me if it was an easy thing to change or would it be worth the expense to have a mechanic do the work. Do you think the name was the EGR Valve? I was looking for what it could have been called on line and there are a couple of valves that sound like it could be the one.

I'm not a mechanic but I do a lot of the basics and have some sense about vehicles and try to do as much of the no brainer stuff as possible.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:22 PM   #4
s17theforce
AF Newbie

Re: Re: fix to your problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmiller67
Awesome tip. Thanks a ton.

If you happen to see this one can you tell me if it was an easy thing to change or would it be worth the expense to have a mechanic do the work. Do you think the name was the EGR Valve? I was looking for what it could have been called on line and there are a couple of valves that sound like it could be the one.

I'm not a mechanic but I do a lot of the basics and have some sense about vehicles and try to do as much of the no brainer stuff as possible.
You're welcome, I'm not a mechanic either so I wouldn't know much about the intallation. However I can vouch for the proffessionals they did a great job. My car runs so much better and hasn't sputtered since. I have better acceleration and gas mileage. It cost me bout 130 bucks at my local Chrysler dealership but I'm sure you can probably get it done cheaper somewhere else.
s17theforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 08:38 PM   #5
chutchin
AF Newbie

Re: 1996 Cirrus Sputters

Hey,
Anytime I have a problem I try QuikMechanic at:
http://www.ineed1.com/quikmechanic.html

I used them before, and they helped alot. It's alot cheaper than going to the shop and they don't fix it, but charge me $68 or more per hour. It's just $1 anyway, so you can't go wrong.

Chutch
chutchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 08:52 PM   #6
shaneland
AF Regular

all you need to do is go to an automotive site like advance auto where they have pictures of your parts. Look up the part you need to replace and print the picture. Take the picture to your car and match up the part. Its EGR. EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION valve. Its takes excaping gas and recirulates it so it burns. What happens is the carbon that also leaves your engine gets sucked into the valve clogging it up.
shaneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:09 PM   #7
HARDINDB
AF Newbie

1996 Chrysler Cirrus V-6, Idles Rough,skipping, Plugs And Wires Are Fine, Replaced Fuel Filter. Mechanic Said It May Be A Computer Problem, Have Ran Injector Cleaner Through It And Cleaned Throttle Body/ Some Body Help..please
HARDINDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:05 PM   #8
Nmiller67
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDINDB
1996 Chrysler Cirrus V-6, Idles Rough,skipping, Plugs And Wires Are Fine, Replaced Fuel Filter. Mechanic Said It May Be A Computer Problem, Have Ran Injector Cleaner Through It And Cleaned Throttle Body/ Some Body Help..please

I don't have the car any longer but if you are having the same symptoms as described throughout this thread I'd go the valve route. I do recall when I had the mechanic replace it that was the issue and the car ran great after that change. I do recall it costing me about $120 bucks for the mechanic to change and I beleive it was well worth the money due to where it's located if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps and you have luck getting it resolved.

As always it's great to see how well this forum can be used and all the great tips that come from those providing feedback.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Cirrus