Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 05:53 PM   #1
Vtec95Civic
AF Enthusiast

WRX or RX-8?

Saving up for a new car after my plans for a motorcycle failed. Looking at two main contenders, the WRX or RX-8. I like that the WRX is factory turbo and AWD, but I like the style and comfort (supposedly, been in neither of them) of the RX-8.

What do you guys think? I like to drive fast, btw, love the backroads for the twisties but also enjoy a good long highway run. Also planning on modding whichever one I get. As much as possible.
Vtec95Civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:38 AM   #2
Chad82
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Chad82
Re: WRX or RX-8?

Well first take a ride in a RX8. How old are you, anyways (just curious because of your motorcycle plan failure comment)?
Chad82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:50 AM   #3
Vtec95Civic
AF Enthusiast

Just turned 20 last week. The plans for a bike only went downhill because I am moving and have no garage to keep it in.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:45 AM   #4
harrymay
AF Regular

in terms of speed, the wrx would be faster. with all four wheels turning at once, you would get a much better launch, and it would be better for twisites.

the rx8 is probably a better highway car, it is rwd, has a good amount of torque stock n/a'd and im pretty sure will take a turbo well on stock internals.

you are looking at two very different cars, not just in engine, but full drivetrain.

Mooninites Unite! Quad Laser!!!
harrymay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:55 PM   #5
JLad10687
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to JLad10687

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymay
in terms of speed, the wrx would be faster. with all four wheels turning at once, you would get a much better launch, and it would be better for twisites.

the rx8 is probably a better highway car, it is rwd, has a good amount of torque stock n/a'd and im pretty sure will take a turbo well on stock internals.

you are looking at two very different cars, not just in engine, but full drivetrain.
The RX-8 has good torque stock? Could have fooled me.

JLad10687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:27 AM   #6
VTEC LOVER
Banned

dude i would test out the WRX STI first u cant go wrong speed, handling and accelration in on
VTEC LOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:11 PM   #7
Chad82
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Chad82

But you can go wrong with the insurance rates for a 20 year old. Not to mention on backroads and highways, where is he actually going to use all that power?
Chad82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:19 PM   #8
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC LOVER
dude i would test out the WRX STI first u cant go wrong speed, handling and accelration in on
Not to mention that it costs more... Seriously, if he could afford a $30,000 car, wouldn't this be Evo v. STi. v. 350z or something to that effect?

The RX8 should be a much more fun car then the WRX. The WRX is good, but its not as responsive as the RX8. The turbo lag is pretty horrendous for a stock, modern car. The WRX is a bit more practical for rain, snow, and ice, but it just isn't a true sports car like the RX8.

"I collect walnuts"
-Kimi Raikkonen on his hobbies outside of F1
DinanM3_S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:25 PM   #9
Vtec95Civic
AF Enthusiast

I also might consider the new MX-5 (miata). Kind of a girly car but the handling with those things is rediculous.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:43 AM   #10
Integra4200
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Integra4200 Send a message via MSN to Integra4200 Send a message via Yahoo to Integra4200

my friend went and test drove all those cars.. evo, sti, rx8. he said the sti was the best by far. i heard the rx8 isnt even that fast.
I wrecked it about a month ago. damage is the front end passenger side. i have 3 good 80% tread 30" wild countrys bought from les schwab. (4th one poped due to accident.)I also have brand new (still wraped in plasitc) front/rear bumper covers. the grey ones. also a brand new chrome grille.let me know if you need something. it will be going to the junk yard in a few weeks so hurry
Integra4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:40 AM   #11
G-man422
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to G-man422

I say RX-8. Its great at handling, and the engine revs high making it sound like your driving a beast. not to mention the beautiful purr from rotary engines. Just make sure you keep up w/ maintainance.
G-man422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:50 AM   #12
richard petrus
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec95Civic
Saving up for a new car after my plans for a motorcycle failed. Looking at two main contenders, the WRX or RX-8. I like that the WRX is factory turbo and AWD, but I like the style and comfort (supposedly, been in neither of them) of the RX-8.

What do you guys think? I like to drive fast, btw, love the backroads for the twisties but also enjoy a good long highway run. Also planning on modding whichever one I get. As much as possible.
Hey much HP you want to get out of the car?
richard petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:20 AM   #13
[Storm]
AF Newbie

yerh ive seen alot of rx8s in australia and there all pussy. my dad beat one in his ute... and it is crap... wrx, as i said in another post, its more refined, many versions have led up to the current wrxs. you can see this by studying the models history. wrxs get better to compete with evos, so theyll never stop getting better until one of them admits defeat... if u want rotary get a fc or an fd

"omg its my PANDA altezza"
by the way... thats not my car :P
Welcome to a-town
u kno what it stands for.....
[Storm] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 02:22 PM   #14
Teenage Frenzy
AF Newbie

Red face Re: WRX or RX-8?

The WRX is very closeley related to the Corvette. With nearly the same horsepower but less than about twenty thousand in cash, the WRX delivers some of the same top-notch performance which can be found in a coupe. Personally man i think you should stick with either a different more reliable car or the RX-8. Being just twenty, probably in college and maybe a family oriented guy you want something a little more spacing. If you've ever sat in a WRX, those things are made for like small people. If you're well over six foot, you need to find yourself another car. I would suggest the Dodge Charger. The Charger has a great blend of personality and luxury in the mix. It's a perfect ride for long term cruises on the high way or high-speed chases with the po-lice haha. But seriously man in a few years you'll perhaps be married with a kid or a few dogs. You won't be able to fit all ur stuff into a tiny jet-driven WRX. You gotta think realisticly with your options. I'd pick something a little more reliable and user-friendly. Perhaps a Volvo lol. My fav...
Teenage Frenzy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A