Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Forced Induction Discuss topics relating to turbochargers, superchargers, and nitrous oxide systems.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 06:04 PM   #16
neouser
AF Regular

That's about it man, you pretty much have it all summed up.

Lowering compression gives you a bigger window to fuck up when tuning, but it also effectively slows down your car...takes more boost to make the power. Leaving the compression the same, or raising it with strong higher compression pistons slims down your window of allowable tuning error, but it will leave you with a much faster car, with less boost...and on the same amount of boost as the low compression, granted the tuning is good...the high compression motor is going to kill it.

One fact that a lot of people don't consider is that a lot of the 8, 9, and 10 second turbo Hondas use high compression motors.

Now, hear this, even though high compression + boost kicks ass...I still would not tell someone to go out and throw some 12.0:1 pistons in their turbocharged daily driver...simply because most people don't know how to tune well, and it's just not pheasable for a street car. You need awesome tuning, high octane fuel, etc...

But...the stock compression number do not, DO NOT, constitute a problem whatsoever. I was eating Ferarri's in my Civic coupe on 10psi with a stock block B16A, with fuel, ignition, bolt ons, and tuning.

www.automotiveforums.com
www.hondavision.com
www.hondanet.org
neouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 06:05 PM   #17
neouser
AF Regular

AHHHHH FUCK!!!!

Dammit, neouser was at my house and he logged in...Dammit. This is MatT3T4 by the way...lol

www.automotiveforums.com
www.hondavision.com
www.hondanet.org
neouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 06:09 PM   #18
MatT3T4
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to MatT3T4
Ok, I'm back...neouser was me.
Old 03-06-2002, 06:23 PM   #19
mellowboy
Amy dragged me here...

Send a message via Skype™ to mellowboy
lol..all good man.
mellowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 12:56 AM   #20
90civichbsi
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 90civichbsi
this is makin me rethink gettin a b16, and just goin turbo on my stock engine, d16a6, i have all that is listed below, im thinkin about gettin aturbo now, cause im not lookin for a ton of horses, just enough to make it fun. what kid of e/t's have you seen on d series motors w/ turbos?
gude cam
gude ecu
2" lowering springs, camber kit etc.
wings west front bumper
powder coated GSR rims
90civichbsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 01:09 AM   #21
MatT3T4
AF Newbie

If I were in your shoes, and I could afford a B16A...I would go for it. I would be weary of turbocharging a 1990 D-series motor. How many miles do you have on it? How well does it run? The D16A6 is not the strongest motor, certainly not as strong as the D16Z6. It can be done, but you are pretty limited. You will need some fuel and ignition support too.
Old 03-07-2002, 09:14 AM   #22
mellowboy
Amy dragged me here...

Quote:
Originally posted by MatT3T4
If I were in your shoes, and I could afford a B16A...I would go for it. I would be weary of turbocharging a 1990 D-series motor. How many miles do you have on it? How well does it run? The D16A6 is not the strongest motor, certainly not as strong as the D16Z6. It can be done, but you are pretty limited. You will need some fuel and ignition support too.
You know what though...about the JDM b16...you don't really know how many miles are on those either? The engine can be worn also ...rite?
Old 03-07-2002, 09:34 AM   #23
MatT3T4
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by mellowboy

You know what though...about the JDM b16...you don't really know how many miles are on those either? The engine can be worn also ...rite?
That is true, but for the most part, if you get it from a reputable dealer, you probably don't have too much to worry about. Of course, there are shady fucks out there who will sell you a motor on the brink of catastrophe, and you'd never know it until it happened.

But, the B16A is much, much, much stronger than the D16A, and can withstand boost far better. Also, motor mileage, for the most part, doesn't really matter. It is the condition of the motor that is what matters. A motor can have 135,000 miles on it, and if the compression is still holding up well, and the valves are still straight, and the seals are all holding up well...then you shouldn't have any problems turbocharging it.
Old 03-07-2002, 10:55 AM   #24
mellowboy
Amy dragged me here...

Quote:
Originally posted by MatT3T4

That is true, but for the most part, if you get it from a reputable dealer, you probably don't have too much to worry about. Of course, there are shady fucks out there who will sell you a motor on the brink of catastrophe, and you'd never know it until it happened.

But, the B16A is much, much, much stronger than the D16A, and can withstand boost far better. Also, motor mileage, for the most part, doesn't really matter. It is the condition of the motor that is what matters. A motor can have 135,000 miles on it, and if the compression is still holding up well, and the valves are still straight, and the seals are all holding up well...then you shouldn't have any problems turbocharging it.
I'm just wondering here...who did ur turbo and all the tuning? I'm thinkin about turbo but i'm really thinkin that i should go all motor?
Old 03-07-2002, 11:26 AM   #25
MatT3T4
AF Newbie

It was kind of a combined effort...myself and my sponsor, Dynamic Design. It takes more money and effort to go turbo, but the rewards are plentiful. All motor is fun too though...