Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sephia
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 08:36 PM   #1
mackattack61
AF Newbie

98 sephia

i was driving down a hwy when the car cut off thought i was out of gas. put gas in it and still wont start but turns over.took timing belt cover off its not turning when i am trying to crank it..broken timing belt? and how can i be sure?
mackattack61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:44 AM   #2
cbeck
AF Regular

Re: 98 sephia

uh... well, is there a belt around the two cam pulleys at the top of the valve cover area? (where you took the belt cover off against the enging block... )

What's not turning?
Old 06-09-2005, 01:28 AM   #3
mackattack61
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 98 sephia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeck
uh... well, is there a belt around the two cam pulleys at the top of the valve cover area? (where you took the belt cover off against the enging block... )

What's not turning?
the belt or cam pulleys neither seem to be turning.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:24 PM   #4
cbeck
AF Regular

So the belt IS still there?

If you reread your original post... you say that it turns over and that it doesn't turn over... Which is it? ie- are you saying the engine "turns/cranks" but the belt and cams are not moving? And if you can see the belt, why do you ask if it is broken?

Sorry, I just find your question a little confusing.

The more info you give us, the more help someone is likely to be able to give.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:09 AM   #5
mackattack61
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 98 sephia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeck
So the belt IS still there?

If you reread your original post... you say that it turns over and that it doesn't turn over... Which is it? ie- are you saying the engine "turns/cranks" but the belt and cams are not moving? And if you can see the belt, why do you ask if it is broken?

Sorry, I just find your question a little confusing.

The more info you give us, the more help someone is likely to be able to give.
sorry for the confusion,the motor will turn over but will not start the belt and cams doesnt turn but the belt is still there i have heard that it is not umcommon for 2 or 3 of the teeth to break ( i dunno ) top part of belt looks in good shape no cracks or anything .at 1st i thought it had ran out of gas so i put more in it and it wouldnt crank back.talked to a guy here that told me it sounded like timing belt.any ideas? thanks for your patience and help
Old 06-10-2005, 08:11 AM   #6
cbeck
AF Regular

No problem... I'm just slow and hard of hearing

From what you describe then, it is likely the timing belt's teeth have been messed... And seems odd that top teeth and parts of the belt you can see would be perfect and bottom not... but there is not too much else i'm aware of that would create what you say...

Typically, it's recomended to replace the belt every 60K and I am aware of the rio's at least seeming to have frequent timing belt probs (just from complaints on forum)... Maybe fastkia will have some input.

Sounds like the thing to do now would be to slide it off and have a look... I assume you'll find the teeth sheared. Then align things and put a new one on... Pray for the happiness of your valves, and let know if you need marking info if you will attempt this yourself.

That's my two cents...
Old 06-10-2005, 08:20 AM   #7
cbeck
AF Regular

Just talked to my friend on the phone. He says I've been living with a timing chain too long and it is normal for the belt to strip on the bottom/smallest pulley.

What do I know?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sephia