Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 03:49 PM   #1
talonpunk831
AF Newbie

Z24 vs. ECOTEC...help!

ok i need some info/help, im a budget street racer lol, i own a 1995 2.2 sohc cavy, and im not loaded like most of the ppl here so alot of my mods are hand made, like i made my cold air intake, i bent the tubing myself and i made my exhuast a strait pipe with a 3inch muffler(sounds really good though lol) and i have cut springs(done right so they dont bounce) but i do have RK sport 4 1 header and a short shifter, i run decent times of about 16.7, whitch isnt bad for a 4 door 95 cavy that ran 17.9's stock, but im getting about 5k after xmas, and i love cavys, but im tired of my cavy, so im either gona get a Z24 or a ECOTEC cavalier but i wana know whats better for me? cuz im not gona have enuff money to mod it crazy, prolly the same that ive done for my car... i could get a Z24 for about 5K with 60k miles on it, or a ECOTEC with about 50K miles on it for 5K, i dont care about mileage cuz my car has 140k and runz great lol, anywas im curouse about there 1/4 mile times stock and after some mods, could u guys help me? i think the specs are z24=3600lbs and 150hp, and ECOTEC=2900lbs and 140hp, give me some info guys plz! =D thanks
talonpunk831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 07:12 PM   #2
jayson716
AF Enthusiast

Re: Z24 vs. ECOTEC...help!

well a Z can run mid 15s stock. with mods depending on how far you go. as for cheap bolt ons you can probably get to high 14s to mid 14s.
jayson716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 01:39 PM   #3
Classicrocjunkie
Lifted GMT-360!

Send a message via AIM to Classicrocjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonpunk831
ok i need some info/help, im a budget street racer lol, i own a 1995 2.2 sohc cavy, and im not loaded like most of the ppl here so alot of my mods are hand made, like i made my cold air intake, i bent the tubing myself and i made my exhuast a strait pipe with a 3inch muffler(sounds really good though lol) and i have cut springs(done right so they dont bounce) but i do have RK sport 4 1 header and a short shifter, i run decent times of about 16.7, whitch isnt bad for a 4 door 95 cavy that ran 17.9's stock, but im getting about 5k after xmas, and i love cavys, but im tired of my cavy, so im either gona get a Z24 or a ECOTEC cavalier but i wana know whats better for me? cuz im not gona have enuff money to mod it crazy, prolly the same that ive done for my car... i could get a Z24 for about 5K with 60k miles on it, or a ECOTEC with about 50K miles on it for 5K, i dont care about mileage cuz my car has 140k and runz great lol, anywas im curouse about there 1/4 mile times stock and after some mods, could u guys help me? i think the specs are z24=3600lbs and 150hp, and ECOTEC=2900lbs and 140hp, give me some info guys plz! =D thanks
Wow... this is where you get torn apart....

1) Its called a 2.2 LN2 OHV..(95-97)
2) Street racing is dangerous and stupid
3) Cut springs on Stock OEM struts... even worse than factory.. bet your struts are blown and your suspension is dangerous.
4) Hope you still have flex pipe where you maid a straight pipe exhaust or Stiffer engine mounts..

.. i think i will stop there on that becuase the rest will no be premitted by the rules...

Basically its a toss on what you want. Other people cannot decide for you. If it was me, i'd take the Z.

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer
2010 Glastron GT 205XL
Classicrocjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 02:19 PM   #4
04_CaV!!
AF Enthusiast

Thumbs up Re: Re: Z24 vs. ECOTEC...help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classicrocjunkie
Wow... this is where you get torn apart....

1) Its called a 2.2 LN2 OHV..(95-97)
2) Street racing is dangerous and stupid
3) Cut springs on Stock OEM struts... even worse than factory.. bet your struts are blown and your suspension is dangerous.
4) Hope you still have flex pipe where you maid a straight pipe exhaust or Stiffer engine mounts..

.. i think i will stop there on that becuase the rest will no be premitted by the rules...

Basically its a toss on what you want. Other people cannot decide for you. If it was me, i'd take the Z.

Totally agree.
your not only a danger to yourself but a danger to anyone driving around you on the road.
now for my two cents. I have driven both the z and i currently own an eco... I would go with the eco. just my two cents though
Old 12-25-2004, 02:24 PM   #5
Mangoamerican
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Mangoamerican Send a message via Yahoo to Mangoamerican

definately the eco.. i mean shit.. its new!
Mangoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 03:16 PM   #6
cavispeedracer
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to cavispeedracer
Re: Re: Z24 vs. ECOTEC...help!

i dont know anything about the eco..... but i do know i have a 97 z24 5 spd and its not 3600 pounds. its 2600 pounds with 150 HP and 155 ft lbs torque stock. thats amazing. stock my car ran a 16.2. with exhaust, intake, header, clutch, springs, struts, short shifter..... its best is a 15.5 @ 89.9 MPH.... keep in mind it has 125000 miles on it..... i bet if u picked up a Z wtih about 60k on it u coudl get to low 15s with those mods - but spend an extra grand and throw the GM supercharger on there..... u'll be getting low 14s i bet. good luck

1997 Cavalier Z24 Modified
1/4 mile 15.5 at 89mph
FOR SALE!
cavispeedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 05:56 PM   #7
big dude1
AF Regular

go for the z24 i have a 2001 and its awesome it has more horsies than an ecotec to start with...

2001 Z24 cavi, and it owns
big dude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 03:37 PM   #8
2002viscavalier
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonpunk831
The Ecotec is a great motor. I have never had a porblem out running a 2.4 at all. One main reason is that it is lighter and I have a manual. he mods are not that expensive if you just look around. The best place to go is ebay and you just have to be willing to wait on the parts you want to go on sale. GM has made some more racing parts this past year for the ecotec. Many are for the hard core drag racer. Which cost a lot of money. But for example I get 25miles to the gallon in the city while racing around with my car club and going to the drag strip on the weekends. That is great. My cavalier with the ecotec smoks my buddy with an IS300,5 Speed, no problem(as long as you can drive). The only thing I have done motor wise is a cold air intake from AEM, and RSM underdrive pulley, and an RK sport cat back exhause, which all cost under $900. And that is installed. The only bad thing with the cavalier which everybody that street races with them is the wheel hop. I put sport springs on which gave it a better stance and good look, and took most of my wheel hop away, but not all at the drag strip. Ecotec is the best, that is why GM is still using it today.
2002viscavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 12:55 AM   #9
z24 fanatic
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to z24 fanatic
as you can tell i preference the z 24 it is the best for the track i have a 2000 z 24 5 spd 2.4 dohc 150 hp 155ft lbs torge (cant spell) and i have stomped all over echotech at the track 2000 are cheep bolt ons are cheap and they are light but i dissaprove of street racing and low buget if you are going to build it do it right or you can kill yourself dont spare the money save if you have to dont get your self killed!!! and take it to the track 20$ on test and tune night be safe
z24 fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier