Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Durango
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
Cat Fuzz
AF Enthusiast

Replaced heater core, now electrical problems.

I very reluctantly did the heater core for a friend. It's a 99 Durango. Everything worked after I got it back together but now suddenly the heater blower, power outlets/cigarette lighter and door locks all stopped working, came back, stopped again and now I can't find where the trouble is. Fuses are fine, getting power to them. I can't seem to find a wiring diagram that I can make sense of. Does anyone know what is the commonality of these circuits? Common ground or harness connector that may have come loose?

I hate doing heater cores and this is why. BTW, I can hear the door lock relay clicking but they don't activate the door locks. This has to be a clue but not sure how it relates to the problem.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:25 AM   #2
hundahunta
AF Enthusiast

Re: Replaced heater core, now electrical problems.

remove the left kick panel and check the ctm connectors, also check the ground near the dash in the same area
hundahunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
Cat Fuzz
AF Enthusiast

Thanks. I'll do that. I did get a clue though. They called me and said that sometimes when they try to turn the heater on, it will come on and the power outlets will come on. Seems there is something with that HVAC controls that might be the problem.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
Cat Fuzz
AF Enthusiast

Still working on this. I sent it home with the guy to be brought back today. I found some more clues: along with the power outlet and cigar lighter not working, heater blower not working and power door locks not working, one weird thing, the light for the HVAC controls comes on when the headlight switch is off. It turns off when you turn the lights on. Opposite of how it should work. I have checked the grounds behind both kick panels and every connector I can find seems ok. I found a wiring diagram but I can't decipher the dang thing. There has to be some common point for all these circuits, I just can't put the pieces together.

I can confirm that relay for the blower motor is working as it should and also the relay for the door locks.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
Cat Fuzz
AF Enthusiast

I found the problem. By pure luck only. It was a ground wire on the right side above the kick panel that I missed hooking up.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Durango