Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 7 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
cajunboyla
AF Newbie

Having problems

My 1989 735iL is having problems. All gauges don't work. Car starts and runs well. What causes this?
cajunboyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
lincolnmaster80
AF Regular

Re: Having problems

Fuse #1, #17, #20 are all related to the cluster I believe. I know #1 is for sure. If you have checked these and they look good, try taking them out and reinserting them. If that doesn't work, replace them with the EXACT SAME amperage fuse. Sometimes, just because a fuse looks good, doesn't mean it is good. Tiny fractures in the fuse bit might be separated enough to not allow good enough contact, and thus looks ok but isn't.

Out of curiosity, are your brake lights working as per normal? If something isn't right with your brake lights and fuse #1 blows, your cluster will go dead.

It also might be a loose connection behind the cluster. Although I do find that pretty unlikely. In any case, if it is a loose connector, you might want to spray some electrical contact cleaner on the contacts first and LET DRY COMPLETELY BEFORE REINSTALLING.

There's also a capacitor fix that you can do that are sometimes the cause of a lot of problems related to the cluster...let us know how the fuses go first and I'll try to find the write up on how to replace the caps.
E38.org - Information and tech tips for BMW's
Shogun's E32 Tech-Tips
Gale's Repair Page
ETK Online
lincolnmaster80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:50 AM   #3
cajunboyla
AF Newbie

Okay guys, I tried replacing the fuses that affect the instrument cluster and gauges #1, #17, & #20 but the same result. My obc had defaulted to pppp but now is miraculoulsy working. What should I do next? Everything else works fine...
Old 03-30-2007, 09:46 AM   #4
lincolnmaster80
AF Regular

It may be possible that pulling the fuses may have "reset" the cluster...you say it defaulted to PPPP (indicates to me that it's a sort of "boot" program after reset, like turning your computer on in the morning). Although I would have no idea as I'm not too familiar with the behavior of our clusters (aside from speedo readings, etc).

If it works fine, LEAVE IT BE! It's quite possible that you fixed it and, as you say, is now working fine...
Shogun's E32 Tech-Tips
Gale's Repair Page
ETK Online
Old 03-30-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
cajunboyla
AF Newbie

Okay guys; here's what happened: after the miraculous working of the obc, which reset itself. All gauges started to work. I had noticed that while driving earlier the "brake fluid light" would come on and go off intermittently. Then, as all the gauges began to work again the light went out. But immediately while driving and stepping on the brakes for the first time after everything worked the gauges went dead again. Tell me if it has something to do with the brakes or as you stated earlier the "brake lights" or is there a loose connection by the brake pedal or is it in the electrical connection at the tail lights?

Thanks again...
Old 03-30-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
lincolnmaster80
AF Regular

First off, check your brake fluid to make sure it's filled properly. If it is, don't worry about it. If you get that same warning again after you've fixed the cluster, you might be looking at a loose brake fluid sensor connector or a knackered sensor.

Check the tail lights at the rear to make sure all are working properly. If they are, move onto the brake switch.

If your brake lights are working fine and you've wriggled the connectors in behind the trunk, you might be looking at an LKM fix (Light Control Module) although I'm not sure if the LKM is even remotely related to the cluster.

Check the fuses again and see which one(s) have blown, if any. If one did blow, then you are most likely dealing with a short circuit on one of the systems that fuse is fusing. If all looks ok, replace with another one just for good measure.

If all checks out well, I'd suggest you pull the cluster out and reseat any connectors on the cluster (take off and put back on). If that doesn't fix it, I'll put you in contact with someone who'll be able to help you more indepth...
Shogun's E32 Tech-Tips
Gale's Repair Page
ETK Online
Old 04-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #7
cajunboyla
AF Newbie

Okay guys, here is the latest... While driving last night, the unthinkable happened. All gauges went dead again and the headlights went out. I had to drive with the fog light to get home. This is getting irritating. Is there any feasible solution to this electric mayhem? Please help...

Thanks for all the previous responses.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:37 AM   #8
lincolnmaster80
AF Regular

Wow, that's no good! I'm glad your fog lights still worked.

At this point, I think I mentioned a few posts back about the LKM. Unless it was just coincidence that your both of your headlights went out, this might be causing your problems, however, like I said, I don't know how much of the cluster the LKM will affect, aside from illumination, maybe.

LKM and Mustard Relay fix

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...trical/LKM.htm
Shogun's E32 Tech-Tips
Gale's Repair Page
ETK Online
Old 04-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #9
cajunboyla
AF Newbie

Thanks, lincolnmaster80... I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Can't hurt to try....
Old 04-03-2007, 09:49 AM   #10
muleman
AF Newbie

Lincolnmaster80 has made some excellent recommendations. For information, you can pick up a rebuilt LKM on eBay and many also have a warranty. It may be a good idea to pull all of the modules and reseat them, as corrosion can build up on the contacts and result in electrical gremlins. I have a 1994 740iL, and I also had to replace the brake light switch as they had a recall for a defect that caused false brake light failures. I can't remember if this fault went back to 1989.. Keep us posted.
muleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:21 AM   #11
cajunboyla
AF Newbie

Hey, thanks lincolnmaster80, resoldering the LKM and Mustard Relay did fix the lights problem. But I still have the cluster (gauges) problem. Remember, last week I stated that all the gauges miraculously began to work and then immediately stopped when I applied the brakes. Well, the "brake fluid light" comes on intermittently and stays on from time-to-time. I checked the brake fluid reservior and its full and the electric connection has no corrosion. In addition, I did what muleman suggested and pulled all of the modules and reseated them but to no avail. Should I now pull the cluster to check for a loose connection? I can think of nothing else left to do. Please advise...
Old 04-05-2007, 01:55 AM   #12
lincolnmaster80
AF Regular

Glad to see you got your sight (lights) back!

I would try and reseat the cluster connections. Glad to know for sure that the LKM dosen't affect the cluster.

NOTE: IF YOU HAVE AN AIR BAG, IT IS CRITICAL YOU FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE WEB SITE BELOW. (You'll find out why in VERY short order if you don't)

Some changes to note:
1. Battery is under the rear seat on the right hand side. To disconnect the battery, there's a black plastic access cover just under the seat. I believe this is the negative battery cable. For instructions, see my "Magic Reset" post. (If you wanted to try the magic reset first, it's helped "cure" some other problems unrelated to the cluster)
2. Air bag connector might not be orange (not sure what color it is if it's different)
3. You might be able to remove the cluster or fit your hand behind there without removing the steering wheel. Some have been able to do it on similar styled E34 5-series.

Instructions for steering wheel WITH air bag

Instructions for steering wheel WITHOUT air bag

As I was doing some research, I didn't really find any specific to your problem, but there have been a lot of "weird" problems with the earlier E32 clusters that were solved with a Capacitor fix. If reseating doesn't help, then I'll refer you to some "higher ups" (people who are more experience with solving cluster problems than I am) before I recommend the Cap Fix.

http://bmwe32.masscom.net <-- BOOKMARK THIS SITE
Shogun's E32 Tech-Tips
Gale's Repair Page
ETK Online
Old 04-08-2007, 12:33 PM   #13
cajunboyla
AF Newbie

Hey lincolnmaster80, thanks for all your guidance...I pulled the cluster and ran the volt meter across the capacitors and just like you said it was the capacitor. So I replaced the bad one and now the cluster works like a charm. I really appreciate all your help. I look forward to coming to you again for help. Thanks again.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:09 PM   #14
lincolnmaster80
AF Regular

Good show mate. I'm happy for ya! Glad to see another E32 in a happy working state of being!
Shogun's E32 Tech-Tips
Gale's Repair Page
ETK Online
Old 04-15-2007, 04:50 PM   #15
cajunboyla
AF Newbie

Unhappy Fuel problem

Okay guys, I'm back with another one. My 89 735il has been running just fine as of yersterday. However this afternoon, I tried to start it and the fuel pump message was displayed. I checked the fuses and they are okay. The tank is full. Could it be the fuel pump or something else? Need help again...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 7 Series