Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
gt3racerich
AF Newbie

Exclamation First oil change

I am about to do my first oil change on my wifes 2005 325 wagon. Anything special I need to know? Any additional O rings or anything else I need in addition to the filter? Also any recomendation as to where I can get the parts? Thanks in advance.
Rich
gt3racerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:59 PM   #2
HKmitsubishiman
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to HKmitsubishiman Send a message via AIM to HKmitsubishiman
Re: First oil change

If you purchase the oil filter from the dealer, it will probably come with a new o-ring and washer for the filter resovoir, and also a new washer for the oil pan bolt. So all you need to get is probably a new oil filter and motor oil. No worry
HKmitsubishiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:26 PM   #3
sub006
AF Enthusiast

Re: First oil change

If you belong to the BMW Car Club of America ($45/yr) any dealer and most aftermarket suppliers will give you 10% or more off parts purchases. There are also importers of OEM German parts who advertise in the club magazine "Roundel" who have deals.

Wherever you buy your filter, open the box before you leave the store. There should be a little cello envelope with TWO o-rings of different sizes and maybe the copper gaxket for the drain plug. The old ones are usually rock hard - I carefully and patiently pry them off the plastic center stem of the filler cap with the tip of a sharp knife, then slip the new ones on.

You may have trouble getting under the car with most floor jacks. You need one that is long yet low to reach the front center jacking point. My wife's 325ci has the Sport package, which is even lower.

Handy hint: if no proper jack is available, position your car as if to parallel park in front of your driveway. Then carefully drive the right front wheel onto the driveway apron and up on the curb. Set parking brake. Now you have an extra six inches so you can wriggle under the car with your drain plug wrench and pan!
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series