Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-07-2001, 06:35 PM   #1
areuin
AF Newbie

Question

Hey All,
Just got my Garmin eMap and am looking for the TOPO software to go with it. (I already have the mem card). The cheapest I've seen it is around $79 +s/h. Anyone seen it cheaper anywhere?

TIA!

fyi, this is my first post on this board - it's fun being a rookie on a new board!
Old 05-07-2001, 08:39 PM   #2
wqbang
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to wqbang
Have you checked GPSnow.com?
Old 05-08-2001, 12:48 AM   #3
areuin
AF Newbie

Thanks for the suggestion 'dubya Q'. It was about $90 there. I've found it at about 20 different places, but it appears that I'm not going to do much better than $80ish, which is pretty good...

Old 05-08-2001, 08:53 AM   #4
wqbang
AF Enthusiast

Just to let you know, you can preview all of the mapsource maps online now at http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/index.html with the Mapsource Map Viewer.

I have US R&R. It is decent, but not as accurate as Metroguide or Topo which are based on USGS data. However, the Topo maps have much less street names. I will get Topo sometime, I just don't know when.
Old 05-08-2001, 01:02 PM   #5
Synchro
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Synchro Send a message via Yahoo to Synchro
the Delorme software is by far the best over all. especially for topographical work.
Synchro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 01:07 PM   #6
areuin
AF Newbie

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Synchro
the Delorme software is by far the best over all. especially for topographical work.
Good to know - Since I'm a gps rookie, this may be a stupid question, but will Delorme software work with the Garmin eMap?

Thanks again.
Old 05-08-2001, 02:06 PM   #7
Synchro
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by areuin

Good to know - Since I'm a gps rookie, this may be a stupid question, but will Delorme software work with the Garmin eMap?

Thanks again.
according to the website it supports all garmin gps units that can attach to a computer. check the web site. http://www.delorme.com/topousa/

I have tried and/or owned 4 different Topo GPS packages and the Delorme is by far the best. the 3d maping functionality alone is worthewhile. and it does real-time tracking, so if you have a laptop and the right cable the software can track you in the laptop. then you can make and print maps and all that kind of stuff.
Old 05-08-2001, 03:18 PM   #8
wqbang
AF Enthusiast

I own Delorme's Topo USA 3.0 and like it very much. I think that the National Geographic TOPO! software would be better, but it has limited state coverage and is much more expensive.
Old 05-08-2001, 04:11 PM   #9
Synchro
AF Regular

I own TOPO! and it is a bitmap based software (the delorme is vector based) and is no where near as flexible as the Delorme. with TOPO! you can only zoom down as far as the bitmap goes, then it tells you, that you need another product to get lower. if you want it, i will give it to you for free. i HATED it, and once mobycat showed me the Delorme, i was in heaven.

Topo! was great for marking waypoints and trips, the garmin software is great for the management of garmin GPS units, but the delorme was just really great all around. there was one other i tried as well, but i forget which one now.
Old 05-08-2001, 04:49 PM   #10
areuin
AF Newbie

Many thanks to both of you. I really appreciate the info.
I'll check out that Delorme as well, and if TOPO does happen to fit my needs, I'll offer to pay shipping and toss in some extra beer $$ for the CD(s)!? :sun:

Later!,
Old 05-08-2001, 07:24 PM   #11
Synchro
AF Regular

Angry

ok, the one i have is TOPO!GPS USA from www.topo.com if that makes an difference. damn i hate wasting money.