Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
darse
AF Newbie

Just bought a '94 trooper...help!

a couple issues...

1. it apparently had a lot of electrical problems, all the window motors/switches were replaced, including the sunroof...as well as the blinker switch, fog lights, etc. The sunroof worked for about a day, and now it wont open. Any ideas?

2. When I start it up, it sometimes takes a second crank, or a little gas. What should I check first, the fuel filter? starter? spark plugs?

3. Programming a keyless entry fob. should i call a dealer, or is there a way I can do it myself? I found info for a '95 trooper fob, is it the same?

4. I have read alot about being religious with oil changes... anything else i should know about troopers? I've got the only Isuzu of anyone I know, so not a lot of knowledge about them around me.

THANKS!!!

---Nicole
darse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:03 PM   #2
trooperbc
AF Enthusiast

Re: Just bought a '94 trooper...help!

1. sounds like somebody threw parts at it without solving the underlying problem, which sounds like, to me, a major ciruit ground problem and/or more likely the wiring harness. can you contact the previous owner and get some history. that would be the best!

2.only when cold? only when warm/hot? only when sitting for an hour or so? or anytime?

4.timing belt, every 75,000 to 100,000 or so, which also means timing belt tensioner and water pump. best to find the history on this. it's not especially easy, and definitely not cheap to have someone else do it. you do have a non-interference engine which means it's not catastrophic if the timing belt goes on you, but. . .there are advantages to doing it prior to that point.

it's a nice truck, imo. how do you like it?
edit add: and how many miles on the odometer?

//bc

i love a good intermittent electrical challenge. . .especially when it's someone else's.
trooperbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:25 PM   #3
darse
AF Newbie

Re: Just bought a '94 trooper...help!

I think I've got the previous owner's number still, I'll have to check... but he only had it a few months (hunting season) and only used to to drive 60 miles to his property and back only on the weekends....

He is the one who told me about the the switches being replaced... I'll have my dad check out the wiring harness and all that -- anything in particular he should be looking for?

The truck has 150k on it, the interior is mint -- i think it was the top of the line when it came out, leather, power everything, sunroof, etc. I really like it so far... except having to crank it hard to get it going... It mostly does it when its cold. In the morning when i am getting it out of the garage, and then if i let it sit for more than an hour (if i go shopping or something). It cranks fine if i turn it on, off, and then on again.

I'll check on the timing belt too.

thanks for the help.

with those few things fixed, it'll be a great truck ... hopefully for a while!!!
darse is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard