Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 01:04 AM   #1
spltshft
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to spltshft
2.0l

I have an 87 Fox and want to go from a 1.8 to a 2.0L out of a 91 Passat. What do I need to replace? I also want to convert to the dual pod round head lightswhat type of rad support should I get? Another question how can I rig it up for four wheel disc brakes?

Thanks for all the info you can give me.
spltshft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:19 PM   #2
kmohr3
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to kmohr3
Re: 2.0l

I'm not trying to burst your bubble here, but I don't think that it would be worth your while on a car this old. Unless the body is in pristine condition I would shy away from that project. Also, some Foxes sat on ships in port and sustained heavy corrosion before being delivered when brand new. I know this from being a VW Master Registered Tech and seeing some of it first hand.

However, if you do try to swap it over - good luck. The fuel injection may look similar, but that year Fox is CIS-E injection and the Passat is CIS-E Motronic. Control units, harness, idle stabilization, would all be different. I would suspect that it would be easier to run the Fox injection - I'm not sure which injectors you should use, I guess trial and error.
kmohr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:01 PM   #3
spltshft
AF Newbie

I appreciate your input. The body is mint and I am really attached to the car. What would you recomend for an engine swap. The 1.8 is got 400 thousand kms on it. I think it is getting a bit tired. I have a four speed manual and I wont to upgrade to a five maybe. any input you could give me for this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks again
Old 10-29-2006, 07:41 AM   #4
kmohr3
AF Regular

I don't know what you have to do to install a 5 speed, but I know they were available on the later Foxes. If I was really going to make a swap, I'd go to the dealer parts dept and see if they'd compare the linkage parts (all the way from the trans to the shifter), and the mounts and see what's different and what's the same.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:31 PM   #5
spltshft
AF Newbie

What would you suggest for a motor. I would also like to put discs on all four wheels.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:21 PM   #6
kmohr3
AF Regular

If it was me, I would rebuild the original 1.8. This is a user friendly motor for working on. Also much more forgiving if the timing belt breaks or jumps time. If the Passat 16V breaks it damages valves or more. Cam timing is much more critical.

The 1.8 was plenty perky for this little car, mine would break the tires loose really easy. What's wrong with your motor? Burns oil, knocks, noisy lifters?? Have you checked the compression?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > General Discussion