Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 5 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 01:55 PM   #1
millemt1
AF Newbie

Speedometer stops working

I am looking for other 5 series BMW owners that may be interested in a class action to get BMW to fix a serious safety problem with their 97-2000 5 series or to get reimbursed for repairs already made. BMW failed to recall even though they were aware of this serious problem. Specifically I am looking for those that have experienced their speedometer failing. This is caused by the sensor and/or module malfunctioning. In addition the ABS and Stability Control lights will come on when the problem occurs. BMW fixed this problem for later 39 series cars but failed to recall for those of us that had earlier models. The only way to get them to fix this problem is to force them through legal channels since all efforts to work with them have ended with their offer to repair at regular dealer rates. NTSB has been notified and is also reviewing.

Please respond with an e-mail address if you have experienced this problem or if you would like to see a recall to fix the problem before yours fails.

Thanks
millemt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 03:43 PM   #2
bmwALLY
AF Newbie

Re: Speedometer stops working

I use to have a 1998 BMW 528I. I had that same problem. And I believe they wanted a lot of money to fix it. I was so frustrated I got rid of the car. And thus, I ended up with the new 04' 545I. I had the car for a full 6 years before anyhting like that happened. And as I understood it, they said I was responsible for the repairs (payment of it) and wouldn't warranty it. I'd like to know what happens in this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by millemt1
I am looking for other 5 series BMW owners that may be interested in a class action to get BMW to fix a serious safety problem with their 97-2000 5 series or to get reimbursed for repairs already made. BMW failed to recall even though they were aware of this serious problem. Specifically I am looking for those that have experienced their speedometer failing. This is caused by the sensor and/or module malfunctioning. In addition the ABS and Stability Control lights will come on when the problem occurs. BMW fixed this problem for later 39 series cars but failed to recall for those of us that had earlier models. The only way to get them to fix this problem is to force them through legal channels since all efforts to work with them have ended with their offer to repair at regular dealer rates. NTSB has been notified and is also reviewing.

Please respond with an e-mail address if you have experienced this problem or if you would like to see a recall to fix the problem before yours fails.

Thanks
bmwALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 11:59 PM   #3
pshah
AF Newbie

Speedometer not working

My speedometer and MPG dials just stopped working. My oxygen sensors went down. I ordered on line and changed myself. I changed the front ones in December, and changed the back ones in February. I can work on them myself, I just need to know what happened. I have the code tool. I'm hooking it up this weekend. Anyone know what could be causing this? My ABS and Stability Control lights are on as well.
pshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 04:46 PM   #4
millemt1
AF Newbie

Re: Speedometer not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshah
My speedometer and MPG dials just stopped working. My oxygen sensors went down. I ordered on line and changed myself. I changed the front ones in December, and changed the back ones in February. I can work on them myself, I just need to know what happened. I have the code tool. I'm hooking it up this weekend. Anyone know what could be causing this? My ABS and Stability Control lights are on as well.
BMW refuses to acknowledge that this is a safety issue that they should fix. I guess we will have to wait for an accident because someone didn't know how fast they (or their child!!!) were driving before they hit that hard curve, and then seek legal advise.
It could be your left rear abs sensor but this almost never fixes the problem. I changed mine as suggested and spent $100 for the part only to find out that it did not fix it. You are forced to use a BMW shop to replace the ABS control module. This module must be programmed before it will work so you cannot do the repair yourself. Estimates to fix range from $800 to $2000 so shop around at BMW repair shops to get the best deal. Let me know how much you pay to get it fixed. Maybe when BMW finally owns up to responsibility we will all get some return from this repair.
millemt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 06:02 PM   #5
Fred Nyulassy
AF Newbie

believe you're right about replacing the sensor. I]ll know more this week when I drop my car(2000 528i) off at my BMW dealer for troubleshooting. I should add that my speedometer stopped working when the ASC and ABS lights came on, and the cruise control fails as well. Seems they're all linked together. I'll let you know the outcome later this week. FN
Fred Nyulassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:09 PM   #6
teemsta
AF Regular

my 99 speedo stopped working this weekend. will anything happen if i just say screw it and drive it the way it is?
teemsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 07:46 PM   #7
justaman2us
AF Newbie

I have a 97 528i wih 132k miles and I'm experiencing the same problem, if there is anything I can do to help let me know. Also, would you be able to tell me the location of the secondary airpump on my vehicle, I can not find it. Please email me at:justaman2us@yahoo.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by millemt1

Thanks
justaman2us is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 5 Series