Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 01:26 PM   #1
ah91
AF Newbie

Strange noise (2013 CR-V)

Got a strange car noise I can’t figure out. Gonna see a mechanic this week but thought I’d post here for input. Noise is pretty concerning, and it’s my only vehicle right now.

Initial sound almost sounds like something is dragging under the front of the car. It definitely involves the brakes, because I hear this dragging noise when I apply the brakes. But it’s not exclusive to the brakes, because I’m also hearing a sort of rhythmic scraping sound when I’m not pressing the brakes. The rhythm seems to mirror the rate of the wheels turning, and it seems inconsistent (sometimes louder and obvious, but sometimes lets up, without a clear reason why). I did notice today the sound seems to possibly let up when I turn the wheel to the right, and then when I straighten it out the noise comes back.

So again, as I drive the volume of this “scraping" waxes and wanes slightly, and aside from that connection to turning right, I don’t see other obvious factors.

To the extent I can localize this sound it seems to be coming from the left front of the car. This has only been going on for 3 or 4 days and so seemed to come on fairly suddenly. It may have worsened over these few days, particularly with the scraping noise being more obvious while driving, when brakes aren’t applied. But I’m not completely sure about that, as it’s often fairly subtle and I’m listening increasingly carefully. On a (limited) visual inspection I don’t see anything obvious. Car itself feels… more or less OK driving.
ah91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 12:18 PM   #2
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan
Re: Strange noise (2013 CR-V)

Sounds like your brake pads are worn… The grinding noise could very well be the brake indicator; have your brakes checked.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 12:24 PM   #3
ah91
AF Newbie

Thanks. Getting it looked at tomorrow.

Normally that'd be my first guess. But I've always felt brakes wearing down at least simultaneous with hearing anything, and in the past what I've heard has always been more like a squeaking.

And could worn brake pads account for a rhythmic scraping when I'm not applying the brakes?

I've only had the car for about 6 months so some sounds and feelings are new, but this sounds a bit unusual to me.
ah91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 11:19 PM   #4
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

*shrugs* hard to tell without actually hearing it. I'll be interested to find out what it actually is!
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V