View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 12:02 AM   #39
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: Re: Re: Re: PCV Oil Catch Can, see what your engine is burning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdd
sorry to be so 'un-scientific' but ... if it flows (with no change in vacuum or rpms or idel), then, it flows! right!

of course, oil will slightly restrict flow ...

all filters (and the junk that they collect) slightly restrict flow ... thats why we replace filters ...

" ... It's up to you whether you want to keep the filter or not, but you'd better keep an eye on it and have some way of telling if it is restricting PCV system flow.[/QUOTE ... "

IS NOT THE CATCH-CAN ITSELF A WAY OF TELLING IF IT IS RESTRICTING PCV SYSTEM FLOW ???!!!

If idle/vacuum are OK, and oil/gas/vapors are collecting in the can ... what other evidence is necessary ???
Yes, it will always flow to some extent. How much restriction you can tolerate without additional oil contamination is unknown.

Yes, that is why you replace filters. I don't believe that most people who read the first few posts in this thread would replace or clean that filter periodically. It's my job to make sure that any advice given out is as complete as possible so that anyone who reads about any recommendations on this site isn't mislead or remains even partially uninformed. I have to be more careful than the average poster. The reputation of this site and this forum is at stake.

No, the catch-can will not tell you what flow is going through the system. If you never catch any oil, then you have no flow and that's about all you can say. If the flow is restricted, then how much is acceptable? I doubt you or I or BlazerLT, or for that matter anyone else here knows that.

All I can do is make you aware of potential problems that I see. I don't mind being corrected by anyone who knows more about a particular engine than I do. Such discussion adds to everyone's knowledge. In the end, it's your truck and you can do what you like to it. I just don't want people to go away from here partially uninformed.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote