View Single Post
Old 11-21-2006, 01:25 AM   #45
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: Corolla FAQs and Information - SEARCH/READ HERE BEFORE POSTING

REPLACING STARTER IN 1.8L 7A-FE '96

Thanks to GSS123 for the following description and comments.

I usually hang out more in the Camry forum but I do have one Corolla. I thought I would post my recent repair of the starter for other shade tree mechanics.

I have a 1996 1,8L 7A-FE engine, 5-speed manual transmission with just a tad over 180,000 miles. During early August I noticed the starter would have a slight pause before pulling in the solenoid. At first I thought it was the safety switch that is activated when the clutch is fully depressed. I ruled the switch out with my testing since I could hear the solenoid click when the ignition was turned to the ON position; therefore the clutch safety switch was working. Eventually nothing would happen when I turned the car on except for a single click or sometimes just a hummm sound.

Reading the FAQ section I found a description of my problem and decided to rebuild the solenoid by replacing the old contact with new contacts. New contacts from my local Toyota dealer are $6.50 each and two are required. A new starter is $176.00 from the same dealer. I didn’t ask them what their charge was for replacing a starter. But the part counter manager said they usually rebuild the starters instead of replacing them. I was surprised at this, knowing they would have to stand behind their work if the starter crapped out again say in 3 months. Their labor rate is $90 per hour. I figured they would go with new starter just as a CYA move.

First problem I encounter with removing the starter is my Haynes manual for 1993-1997 Corolla's & GEO Prizm's is way off base. In my case you need to remove the battery and the Air Cleaner housing. In the Haynes manual they say you need to remove the battery and cruise control assembly from the engine compartment. I think this is a misprint? The cruise control assembly is near the timing belt side of the engine and the starter is near the transmission side of the engine.

So after tossing the Haynes manual to the side I proceeded removing the battery and air cleaner housing. Next I raised the car about a foot off the ground and made sure it was blocked up and safe to crawl under. I then doubled checked my blocking and then checked it a third time before crawling under the car.

Next I disconnected the electrical connections from the starter. One connection (coming from the battery) needs a 12mm socket or wrench. The other connection (coming from the ignition) is a plug type; you’ll need a screw driver or something to press a raised nub of plastic down so you can slide the connection apart.

Place these wires aside and take off your coat and any heavy sweaters you have on because this next part requires a very thin arm and about a triple jointed elbow. Reach up between the axle and suspension cross member to place a 14mm socket on the lower bolt holding the starter to the bell housing. This is a pain in the A_ _, but after several socket wrench extension changes, relocating the wrench a half dozen times I got the bolt out. Really only took about 30 minutes, but working on the garage floor and reaching for a tool is a whole different world then what a professional mechanic works in.

Next get out from under the car and go up on top and remove the top bolt holding the starter to the bell housing. You'll have to move a portion of the main wiring harness out your way but there's enough slack in the harness. After the second bolt is out I just let the starter fall, the pros a now shaking their heads at this I’m sure??? The starter falls down and is caught on the axle and suspension cross member. Get back under the car and work the started toward the passenger side fender skirt. The skirt is plastic and it will move out of you way far enough to pull the starter out.

Replace the solenoid contacts; I used information provided in the FAQ section.

On reinstalling the starter I don't see how one person can do this job. So I drafted a family member to screw the upper bolt in after I got the starter in place from underneath the car. Then I put the lower bolt in, reconnected the wires to the solenoid, and attached the air filter housing and finally the battery.

Started right up just like brand new corolla. Total time including putting the car on stands, installing the contacts and cleaning up the starter housing 4 hours.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"