Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

4X4 not working

buts
02-11-2010, 02:44 PM
I have a 2001 manual transmision the 4X4 does not engage and the 4X4 light just stays falshing. In 4X4 the low gears doe engage on the rear but the light still flashes and the front wheels never kick in. Any sugestions ?

fourwd1
02-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Locking and unlocking of the fropnt axle is controlled by vacuum switching valves. They are mounted on the front axle, drivers side. The most common failure in those is an internal leak (could also be a vacuum or electrical problem). There's also a switch that senses when it's locked or unlocked. That is telling the ECM it isn't locking, which gives you the flashing light.
The part is around $75 online and about 20 min to install.

buts
02-23-2010, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the information. Do you have a part number or will advance auto know what I need ?

fourwd1
02-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Advance Auto or anywhere else won't have a clue what you're talking about.
It's a dealer only part. And as I said, it's "the most common failure" but not the only possibility. It could be a vacuum leak elsewhere or an electrical problem. You may want to do a little troubleshooting first.

If you want to just go for it, I think the p/n is 8-97101-858-1.
Just call St Charles Isuzu, ask for Merlin, tell him you need the VSV unit for the front axle. You heard about them on this forum.

Add your comment to this topic!