Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Timing and Belt alignment problem

pyralink
02-09-2010, 11:58 PM
I have a 2000 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2,

I messed up the timing when I changed the water pump and now I'm having trouble correcting it.... Both camshaft pulley's were turned and fell into place, aligning the marks on the pulley and head. The crank pully is positioned, aligning the mark on the pulley and oil casing. Solid lines on the belt match up the camshaft pulley marks, Dotted line on the belt matches up with alignment mark on crank pulley.... Everything to the best of my knowledge is correct.... But I get a hard jerk when the engine starts + a rough idle, The engine lights goes on when I accelerate, the codes I'm getting is 01312, Control igniton or misfire.... I didn't have the problem before I changing the water pump......

Can anyone please advise me as to what I'm doing wrong?.... Thank you!. Nick

jeffchandler
07-26-2010, 10:35 AM
I know this is a delayed response, but maybe this will help someone else with the same problem. It took me two days, to figure this out, and its not well documented.

Those camshaft pulleys will "snap" to different positions over 9 complete revolutions. Unfortunately, the drivers side pulley needs to be aligned between those snaps. This is why you can't simply pull the old belt and put on a new one one without moving the gears. That one pulley will snap out of position as soon as you release the tensioner. It is setup 'beween' regular snap positions.

On the passenger side, turn the pulley clockwise until it snaps in position exactly at the alignment mark.

Here is the important part.....on the drivers side, turn that pulley until it snaps to the 9 o'clock position (relative to the alignment mark). There is a bolt hole for the time belt cover right at that mark. Then, turn the pulley another 90 degrees clockwise till it is right on the mark. This is the right position.

On the bottom pulley, use a flashlight to see the mark at the 3 o'clock position. The notch in the pulley needs to line up at that mark. Put a flatblade screwdriver in that notch, and make sure it lines up exacly with the mark on the manifold.

Add your comment to this topic!