Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine Cuts Out on HARD Right Turns

LWheeler78
11-12-2009, 03:02 AM
Strange problem... 420a non-turbo, nothing modded except the exhaust on this car as far as I can tell. I can turn the car left at 40-50mph and fight the normal oversteer into a hard corner. If I try a turn to the rightat speed then the car cuts out. The radio, interior, etc all still work, so it doesnt feel electrical. It FEELS like a fuel cut of some kind, but I cant find anything that would cause a fuel cut under stress while turning in one direction. I guess it could be mechanical somehow, but it really does not feel that way, it just seems like I suddenly lose all power, the nose dives, and a second later it comes back on. If I'm still in the corner, it cuts back out again for a second, then comes back on.
If I take the same corner but do not stay on the throttle it will take the corner fine.

Any ideas? I've checked the wiring from the battery terminals and the ground, nothing is loose on the pigtails or anything.

david-b
11-12-2009, 08:39 AM
How much gas is in the tank? Sounds like the gas is getting away from the fuel pump while turning and causing the engine to cut out. Fill up the tank and see if it happens again.

RicartParts.com
11-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Fuel pump ? Has the pump been replaced ?

LWheeler78
11-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Fuel level is fine, thats what i thought the first time too. may replace the pump and filter tommorow to see if it makes a difference.

david-b
11-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Fuel level is fine, thats what i thought the first time too. may replace the pump and filter tommorow to see if it makes a difference.

Could be the filter on the fuel pump itself. Might be really dirty and/or have something blocking it. Pull it from the tank and check it out.

SilvrEclipse
11-13-2009, 09:15 AM
I doubt its the fuel pump. I think its going to be very difficult to track down this problem without logging the ECU to see what its doing. It could be the ECU cutting fuel or spark when turning. Or it could be getting starved for fuel, I guess check it out and see if it looks normal or not. I wouldn't be replacing stuff untill you know its bad.

toddrs93
11-24-2009, 04:07 PM
did you figure this out?

My money is also on the fuel filter.

99grandgt
02-15-2010, 05:26 PM
when turning hard right, with the clutch pedal pushed in to the friction point, does the pedal push back out a little? if so, its not a fuel pump issue...

SilvrEclipse
02-15-2010, 09:39 PM
when turning hard right, with the clutch pedal pushed in to the friction point, does the pedal push back out a little? if so, its not a fuel pump issue...

Why would you do this? What is this going to tell you. Its not the fuel pump, fuel pumps dont go out like this, they just dont cut on one day. Not cutting out on turns.

ned032002
02-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Not to mention, resurrecting a dead thread.

Add your comment to this topic!