Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Metal intake plenum for 3800

jarl
10-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Ok... I'm still not 100% sure I'll need this one, but in case I need it I'd like to get some opinions:

The plenum on my '94 3800 seems to be distorted in some places, and brittle in some others, and I'm entertaining the idea of getting a metal one from the junkyard, as there's a much better chance of it being in good condition than a plastic one from the same age.

There's a video on youtube where the guy mentions the manifold from a '95 Buick Park Avenue, but video is not complete and I wonder if this needs modifications or if it's just a direct fit. Has anyone around here done this swap?

Jrs3800
10-30-2009, 05:39 PM
I have seen that Video... Please do not listen to it..

He was working on what he said was a 95 Bonneville... Problem was it was a 94... It had the L27 Tuned Port 3800 with a Linear EGR meaning 94 Model... 94 was the last year that motor was used in a Bonneville... all 1995 NA Bonneville used the 3800 Series II L36...

The metal intake from 90-92 was an EGR'less design, so there is no provision for the EGR.. It would have to be seriously modified to work.. Unless you are willing to do that and have the capability to do this I would tell you to get a new Plastic upper.. Chances are a new unit will far outlast the motor and the van... as well as being a simple bolt on..

The 1995 + Series II L36 is the one that had issues with the Plastic Upper.. The L27 will fail due to age and very high mileage... Most of the L36's never got that far.. Mine was at 4 years when the first one went...

jarl
10-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Thank you JRS... very valuable information :)
As mentioned on the other thread, my '94 seems to have survived surgery. It was producing white smoke after I fired her up the first time, but after a short drive it seems to be Ok.
If I see white smoke again I guess I'll get the Dorman plenum.

Thanks!

LMP
10-31-2009, 07:55 AM
Future viewers might like to know than this thread they are reading is a follow up to this extremely interesting and highly documented former one:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=967640

Add your comment to this topic!