Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1991 Subaru Legacy 16 valve, car dies after startup

SebFontain
08-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Hello,

I have a 1991 Subaru Legacy 16 valve AWD. First off I must add that I bought this car off one of my dad's co-workers. He has always been reliable but has recently became ill and is out of work.. Due to this he is not able to work on my car. When I first bought the car from him it ran fine for two months, but then had troubles so he took it back and had some people he knows put a new fuel pump and new engine in the car (or should i say new used engine.) He brought back the car to me, it ran fine for two days and now everytime I start up the car it instantly dies on me. Giving it gas will keep it running but once I let off the gas the tack drops to zero and it dies. I noticed a week ago that smoke comes from from possibly one of the valve gaskets on the passenger side which i believe is also the exaust side. Today with my father I started it up and once it smoked I shut the car off, got underneath to see where the smoke was comming from and it seems to be possibly the valve gasket. Talking to my grandfather, he seems to think a problem such as smoke comming from the valve gasket would not interfear with how my car runs? I had the car sitting for a while and upon starting it up I also noticed blue smoke comming from the exhaust, but the second time starting it, it seemed fine. Tomorrow I will be pulling the spark plugs and my grandfather will be helping me diagnose other various possilbilities but was wondering if anyone here had any input on what could possibly be the problem with this car? I am starting to think that my dad's co-worker's mechanics gave me all junk parts when working on my car... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Add your comment to this topic!