Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

adding a/c

ninedproof2
06-26-2009, 12:20 PM
im new here.
i recently bought a 96 cavalier with a 2.2 automatic only 60,000 miles in exellent condition very cheap from a friend thats not too bright. after purchasing i remembered a buddy with an 02 cavy with a 2.2 standard and 60,000 wrecked a few months ago and was about to junk his. i bought for 100 bux for parts.
i want to take the whole a/c system for the 02 cavy and intall on my 96 cavy if i can. but this raises a few questions that i need answers too before i open this can of worms. i know im going to have to add a pulley and take the belt from the 02. will this mess with my timing and idle speed? if so i probably dont want to do it. if not then some common sense advice on where to start and what order to do things in would be great.

J-Ri
06-28-2009, 12:50 AM
Welcome to AF!

Honestly, it's not worth it. It shouldn't affect the idle (IAC will keep up with any load placed on the engine) and it won't affect the timing. There will most likely be a problem with the PCM. I'm not sure whether or not yours has the programming or even the terminals for A/C (best case scenario, you'll have to re-pin the connector and run new wires). You will possibly need to swap out the entire HVAC box, at the very least you need to add an evaporator to yours, both mean removing the entire dash. You'll need to swap the HVAC controls and all the vacuum hoses that go with it. You will have to drill holes in the firewall for the A/C lines. You'll need to swap the compressor and bracket, and all the associated wiring (probably just run new wires). I'm not too sure on the '96, but you'll most likely have to run wires for the high side, low side pressure switches, probably an over temp switch on the compressor. You'll need the conenser and all mounting parts for it.

Add your comment to this topic!