Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starting/stall Issue Since Changing Fuel Filter

jakeortman
06-20-2009, 04:19 PM
I have an '01 Accent 1.5L with about 92K miles. Yesterday I changed the fuel filter in my car, and the thing is having trouble since. My old fuel filter was pretty clogged, as I could barely blow through it, but the new one has plenty of flow. The problem is that now while the care fires up and starts just fine, it doesn't want to stay running. I'll start it, it'll fire up great, and then it'll run for a few seconds and die. Eventually, after three or four times doing this, the car will eventually fire up, stay running, idle really smooth, and will drive fine. If I start it up again after letting it sit for 30 minutes, it'll still fire up just fine. I let it sit over night, and it had the same issue again this morning -- would start up, run for about 5 seconds, die. After a few times it started and continued running just fine (albeit it seems with a bit less power).

It's like a lawnmower that needs the gas primed a bit.

I recently changed the spark plugs (couple weeks ago). A couple weeks back I have a P1128 code check light that came on but when I unplugged the MAF sensor, it didn't seem to help (it actually ran worse) so I don't know if the MAF is the issue or not. Since replacing the fuel filter, the check engine light hasn't come back on, but the care just won't consistently stay running.

Anything else I should look at? I don't have money to throw at a bunch of part repairs, so if anybody has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

serge_saati
07-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Did the engine shake before stalling? Or it turn off suddenly?

When you push the accelerator, did it still shut down?

When you relieved the fuel pressure, did you close the valve completely after open it?

Check to see if fuel leak from the engine, it could be a fuel pressure problem.

Add your comment to this topic!