Code 445

Joe Wilson
05-11-2009, 10:53 PM
My 04 Cavalier has the check engine light on. I ran the obd II tester on it and it came up with code 445. This has to do with "Evaporative emission control system purge control valve circuit shorted". Do you think I can just replace the purge valve and fix the problem. I heard that usually they are dirty and the plunger sticks in the valve causing the cel to come on. Anybody got any answers?

ricebike
05-12-2009, 10:11 AM
the key words for that code:

circuit shorted

check the wiring

J-Ri
05-12-2009, 04:53 PM
I would check the solenoid to see if it is shorted first. In the thousands of short/open codes I've diagnosed, most often the short or open is in the solenoid itself.

Joe Wilson
05-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Is there any way I can repair the solenoid if it is bad? I've been told that they stick because of dirt (they're in a very bad place). You think maybe I could soak it in Simple Green or something?

J-Ri
05-12-2009, 10:21 PM
You still don't know the sensor is the problem, check it first! The code is for an electrical short, no amount of cleaning (short of unwinding the coil and recoating it) is going to fix it. It's roughly $15 anyway, not worth your time. Also the code is for the purge solenoid. It's the vent solenoid that commonly sticks.

Joe Wilson
05-13-2009, 05:11 PM
I assume the vent solenoid is the one by the tank and the purge solenoid sits on top of the engine, is that correct? I guess I should check the one on the engine?

J-Ri
05-13-2009, 05:41 PM
That's right. The purge solenoid is on the rear of the engine on a bracket close to the P/S pump. One hose goes under the car to the tank, the other goes to the intake manifold or throttle body, I forget which one for sure.

Joe Wilson
05-13-2009, 06:00 PM
You're gonna love this....I scanned the car again and the code reader says 455 instead of 445. That's some kind of leak in system. What do I do now, start checking hoses or what? Most of them are pretty well hidden, or do you have a suggestion about this? Sorry about the screw-up, I don't think it has 2 codes! Would the vent valve have anything to do with this?

Add your comment to this topic!