Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

pizza delivery guy in need of light to light speed.

neighbordude
04-09-2009, 06:50 PM
I've got a 92 eclipse gs with the stock 4g37 engine. As usual the 17 year old engine is getting a little used up. I'm not into the racing or turbos (although I do enjoy going fast). I'm just looking for any recommendations, whether to go with a better engine than the stock, or was the 4g, at new, a good engine to stick with.

SilvrEclipse
04-09-2009, 09:35 PM
You got the 4g37 1.8l motor. Dont confuse that with the 4g63 motor. The 1.8l motor kinda sucks balls man. Its not made for speed at all. If the motor is in good shape you could do a few bolt ons and get a few more ponys out of it.

weave41_82
04-27-2009, 04:34 AM
if your looking for a better engine and may do a swap, deff go for a 4g63t. much stroger and quicker motor. Although you might have issues matching them up in a base model eclipse. at that point with all the work you would be better off jus buying yourself a gs or even a gst or gsx then you would throw awd into the mix.

CaffeineTripp
07-13-2009, 06:55 PM
If you're going to be using your car for delivery driving, I'd definitely stick with the 4G37 1.8 liter motor. It's quite the workhorse and I should know, I've driven one for over a year delivering pizza and it never quit on me (except for recently though while not delivery driving).
If you're not looking for a big project and just want to get some more horsepower out of the engine, and better gas mileage, there're many things that you can do to it. It may not seem like there's a large aftermarket support for the engine, but basically anything can be found and has been found. From the cam, to the valves, valve springs, rods, pistons, transmission. Tons and tons of stuff is available fort he 4G37 motor and the FM522 transmission.
Here's a couple of good links you might want to check out:
www.DSM1Eights.com
www.4G37Tuners.com
www.VFAQ.com
www.DSMTalk.com

Add your comment to this topic!