Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Zx2 OBDII Problems

ckrzec1
04-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Hi all,

So I held off going to get my emissions test done until the end of the month, at which time I failed the test because they could not read my car's computer. In my state, you cannot buy a plate sticker w/o passing emissions.

Now, I went to my local Advance Parts and had them check my car w/ the OBDII reader. Again, an error came up and it was unable to read anything. There is power going to the plug itself, since their reader powered up w/ no batteries in it. They guy at Advance told me that usually when that happens, it's a faulty computer. I checked all my fuses and they are all good.

What do you guys think is the problem? Should I get a new ECU? I'm really lost right now and I don't want to junk the car. Any help is much appreciated!

jkeaton224
04-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Are you experiencing any driveability issues? Is the service engine soon light on? Seems if the computer was bad it would trigger some sort of fault or the car would not run very well....

ckrzec1
04-09-2009, 06:48 PM
The car is actually running fine, shifting correctly and such. There is no light on (check engine) or anything else. I was thinking of resetting the computer itself to see what would happen, although I'm unsure of how to do this? I read to just unhook the battery for 10 mins then hook it back up?

ricebike
05-06-2009, 10:01 AM
you can, give it a shot

but if the inspection place can't get any info from your obdII port, you're still screwed...

Add your comment to this topic!