Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 cavalier antitheft?

TDWPgtp
03-28-2009, 01:47 PM
hey guys i was just wondering if 2000 cavaliers had any sort of antitheft system that engaged when the stock radio was removed. we are looking to replace the stock one for a short time and need to put it back in eventually. thanks

J-Ri
03-29-2009, 12:20 PM
If you have the owners manual, take a look in there, they say how to enable and disable the anti-theft. If nobody ever enabled it, they are off by default. If it's got the flashing light on the front, the anti-theft was enabled.

I did a quick search, and found http://www.radio-code.com/GM-Pay-Page-radio-code.htm. DO NOT pay them for that "code" you can get it for free at lots of places, just search around (including AF.com). I linked that page so you could see the "RDS" radio, which I believe needs to be unlocked by a Tech-2 scan tool. I haven't had to deal with those yet, but my '04 has one, and I haven't put it onto lock mode the few times I've had the battery disconnected.

manicmechanix
03-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Hey J-ri, I think somewhere after 2001 or 2002 the RDS radios are serial II and you don't or can't put a manual code in. The radio will only turn on if it's programmed (or reprogrammed if it's a replacement) for your car's VIN. Nice if it's your original radio and you unhook the battery that you don't have to worry about it being locked out. Not so nice if you want to switch a different radio in lol. I'm not sure when they went to this set up on Cavaliers but most '01 up GM cars I've seen are serial II.

J-Ri
03-31-2009, 07:41 PM
That's good to know, thanks!

Classicrocjunkie
03-31-2009, 10:23 PM
Its 2000+ which has em... All GM cars went with the Class II wiring. Only the upper end J's (ls and LS sport, Z24's had that problem with the codes)

There is a sticky at the top of this section with all the information about this issue enclosed.

manicmechanix
04-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Its 2000+ which has em... All GM cars went with the Class II wiring. Only the upper end J's (ls and LS sport, Z24's had that problem with the codes)

Do you mean that only the pre-2000 upper-end models had the theftlock radios? So are all 2000-up even base model radios are serial II?

There is a sticky at the top of this section with all the information about this issue enclosed.

I wanted to check that sticky out. Is it in the Non-performance section or what and what's the sticky's title? I can't find it.

Add your comment to this topic!