Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Greetings from NJ...question on steering wheel swap

edco
02-14-2009, 11:40 PM
Just purchased a pre-owned 2007 Cobalt LS..talk about basic..I cant remember the last car I SAW that had roll up windows and manual door locks..but for under $10K one cannot complain.

I bought the car for my 17 yo son as his first car. The steering wheel only has 2 buttons. One that cycles through the trip odos, the oil consumption %, outside temp, permanent odo, coolant temp, etc. The bottom one resets the trip odos.

Do I managed to find (really cheap) a leather covered 2007 OEM with the additional buttons for radio controls, cruise and bluetooth (though we dont have those options).

My research suggests that GM has the control connections available and just omit the buttons to keep the price low. So I'm hoping someone has done this swap or knows where the plugs/cable/harness for connecting the radio controls to the buttons (now that I have them) on the steering wheel.

Thank you in advance
ED in NJ

rodeo02
02-14-2009, 11:59 PM
Even if the cables/connectors were burried in there for a steering wheel with radio controls, It may not be compatible with the basic LS radio/head unit. Also, pretty much anything you change with respect to electronics will need a body control module programming performed by a GM dealer. I know this is the case with cruise control, etc.. FWIW, I also own a totally basic 2007 LS.

Joel

Add your comment to this topic!