Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.
How To: Check and refill Transmission fluid on 4T40E,4T45E
02-03-2009, 08:04 PM
How do I check the fluid level (4T40E - 4T45E)?
Inspecting the fluid level on a 4T40-E is similar to inspecting the fluid level on a manual transmission. It uses a fill plug (oil level control plug) rather than a fill-tube and dip stick. To inspect the fluid level, follow the procedure below.
Refer to the picture attached for location of the fill plug.
Caution: Removal of the oil level control plug when the transmission fluid is hot may cause injury if fluid drains from the oil level control plug hole.
* The transaxle temperature should be above 40° C (104° F).
* Raise the vehicle and make certain it is level (do not raise just the front of the vehicle).
* Apply the brakes, move the shifter through all of the ranges (engine running) then return the shifter to the park position.
* Remove the oil level control plug.
If fluid does not drip from the oil level control plug hole, the fluid level is low. Add fluid through the vent cap as necessary.
Fluid level requirements after service:
* Bottom pan removed………..7 liters (7.4 quarts)
* New converter………………2.5 liters (2.6 quarts)
* Complete rebuild……………10 liters (10.6 quarts)
02-04-2009, 12:48 AM
Very good write up.
Automotive Network, Inc., Copyright ©2013