Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 eclipse engine problem

Roflmao
01-18-2009, 06:06 PM
I recently bought a 96 eclipse. It runs fine except that the engine shakes when the car is stopped. The guy I bought it from said something like the second cylinder head needed to be replaced and that it would cost about 400, does that sound about right because I'm thinking it'll cost more than that

david-b
01-18-2009, 06:28 PM
I recently bought a 96 eclipse. It runs fine except that the engine shakes when the car is stopped. The guy I bought it from said something like the second cylinder head needed to be replaced and that it would cost about 400, does that sound about right because I'm thinking it'll cost more than that

Welcome to AF!

Which motor are we talking about first? GS/RS = 420a or GST/GSX = 4g63. Is it stock? Are there any noises when it's shaking?

Bad motor mounts can cause it to shake. Check if the rubber in the mounts (all 4 of them) are damaged or even missing.

Roflmao
01-18-2009, 09:10 PM
It's a 420a stock, and I can hear it squeaking a little, rubber mounts are good

Blackcrow64
01-19-2009, 01:14 AM
Second cylinder head? There is only one head for all 4 cylinders, just so ya know...

Even if the rubber mounts are there and look ok, it's quite possible for them to still be bad. They get slight tears in them from the rubber just getting old and not holding up to the stress of the torque. To me, it sounds like the motor mounts just need to be replaced with some new OEM ones. Or you could even upgrade them to polyeurathane ones and they will last forever practically...

Did the previous owner give you any other indications as to anything else that could be causing this problem? I personally think it is still a bad motor mount somewhere, but I suppose it always could be something more serious. However, if you say its running fine aside from that then I really doubt there is any kind of damage to the head. The thing would be running horrible if at all if the head needed replaced. :2cents:

Bodack
02-13-2009, 11:22 AM

No, that doesn't sound right. Do the RPMs jump, stay solid, fluctuate? If so check for vacuum leaks then go from there. +1 for checking motor mounts as well.

Add your comment to this topic!