Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rear Lights

Tfissel
01-09-2009, 03:57 PM
'03 4door Cavalier

So one day my left rear turn signal went out. I didnt have time to replace it so I went ahead and drove for a day or two with (what i thought was) a bad light. Then my rear right turn signal went out... came back... went out.. came back.. until finally it didnt come back. I replace both bulbs. However, the left side still didnt work and the right one only worked for a few days after doing the on off thing again.

Skip passed me replacing the right bulb a few times and we're at where I am now... With all my rear brake lights (save the top center) out and both turn signal lights out in the back.

I took out the socket that the left turn signal bulb plugs into and there seems to be some melted plastic/corrosion (its hard to see) on one of the contacts. I do the best I can to clean it off but still, no lights.

Anyone have a clue? I checked the fuses but honestly dont know what else to look for.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Ryan066
01-10-2009, 09:04 AM
so you have no tail lights/signals in the rear? do you have a licence plate light? backup lights?
connect a test light at the sockets to check for power.

the taillights ground on the same circuit as the backup lamps/licence so if your backup lamps/licence plate works that confirms your ground 304.. if nothing works back there and u have power to the sockets then id be checking ground 304 which is "Under the left front seat frame on the rocker"

and your Centre mounted brake light is a whole different circuit.

Tfissel
01-10-2009, 09:53 AM
I checked out the ground and it was pretty corroded. I probably spilled something down there. I also took that socket out again and did a better job of cleaning it. The contact that had melted plastic on it was also bent into the socket (i.e. away from the bulb) so i dont think it was making good contact if at all..

Works now. I didnt have to replace the bulb for the back left turn signal but all the other lights are burnt out.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Add your comment to this topic!