Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'00 3.2L 6VD1 Valve Adjustment

suvguy
01-03-2009, 08:23 PM
2000 Rodeo 2WD 3.2L LS

What is involved with adjusting the valve lash on these engines? Is it adjustable or are shims required? If shims, where might I find them - is it a kit or something? Anyone have the specs and anyone done this? TIA

Cat Fuzz
01-03-2009, 09:59 PM
The single overhead cam engine is not adjustable. The double overhead cam engine uses shims to adjust valve lash. I don't know where to get shims.

suvguy
01-04-2009, 10:26 AM
It is the DOHC 3.2L. Would be nice to get the tick...tick...tick... reduced or eliminated. Isuzu has a periodic lash adjustment call out on these, right?

Gizmo42
01-04-2009, 06:55 PM
The DOHC engines use shim and bucket design. You cant buy individual shims, have to have a whole kit which is very expensive. Its cheaper to take it to a dealer and have them do it then buy a whole kit (which you will never use most of anyway). They are also a huge PITA to do, not quite so bad after you've done several but still not fun.

One thing that some ppl do if they decide to tackle it themselves is to find the valve(s) thats causing the problem and flip the shim over. Dont think I've heard a 2nd gen yet with a valve ticking problem.

okmech1
01-09-2009, 08:36 PM
I've asked an Isuzu mechanic about that same question, said unless it's really loud, not to really worry about it

suvguy
01-09-2009, 11:35 PM
It's fairly loud and most, if not all, similar year Rodeos I've heard have the same tick..tick..tick at idle. Any idea what the shim kit costs, part number? Anyone had it done at the dealer? cost? I seem to remember reading a bunch of posts complaining about the tick. I may have to search again and catch up.

Add your comment to this topic!