Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need to upgrade performance

SHannifan32
12-22-2008, 06:03 PM
I just bought a 2008 cobalt ls 2.2l and need to know what to do to up the performance a little bit. I was disappointed with the stock parts but don't know what to put in it. I dont just want to add speed but the handling as well. if anyone can give me some tips it would be nice.

rodeo02
12-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Just a regular 2.2L automatic I presume? There's not a whole lot more you're going to get out of it aside from change the looks and sound. The supercharged and turbocharged versions of the Ecotec have some aftermarket software and hardware options, but they are not w/out their problems.

Joel

SHannifan32
12-23-2008, 03:02 PM
Just a regular 2.2L automatic I presume? There's not a whole lot more you're going to get out of it aside from change the looks and sound. The supercharged and turbocharged versions of the Ecotec have some aftermarket software and hardware options, but they are not w/out their problems.

Joel

No its a 2.2l manual ls, i was thinking about a cold air intake, new exaust system and i wanted to put a turbo charger in there but i dont know what i need to do that

(FYI i wanted to just buy the SS with the turbo charge already in it but didn't have the money at the time and i do now and dont want to sell my current car.)

rodeo02
12-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Adding a tubo to a stock 2.2L, 5spd would be ridiculously expensive given all the electronics, computer and software issues that would arise. IMO, the 2.2L you have is pretty maxed out in regards to power. They are pretty darn good compared to most stock 4cyl in terms of power/acceleration. An aftermarket cold air intake and exhaust will just change the looks and sound to your car and give it a custom look as well as a MASSIVE resale value loss. Nobody wants a car a young fella tinkered with if ya know what I mean.

Joel

jhstealth
12-26-2008, 11:09 PM
Honestly you can absolutly turbo the car but you need allot of experience. I just got done turboing my bmw 328is and it was hard but definatly do-able, and the cobalt has to be easier.

Add your comment to this topic!