Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 Cavalier - Dim Odometer

gnrboyd
12-05-2008, 01:26 AM
My daughter just got her first car a few months ago. (2002 Cavalier LS Sport) The odometer was somewhat dim when we bought the car but it has faded and now you can't even read it. All other gauges work fine and are lit properly.

I've done some searching and have read that on some instrument panels you can re-solder the circuit board in places to fix the problem. I found some instructions on how to take the dash apart but I can't find any specific instructions for actually repairing the odometer. I'm reasonably handy but certainly no mechanic so before I jump into something like this, I need to make sure I know what to do once I get in there and also to make sure it isn't something that is over my head. (You learn these things as you get older. :banghead: )

The dealer quoted 400-500 to fix it which involves sending the instrument cluster out to a 3rd party. I don't really want to invest any where near that amount. I'd really like to do it myself if I can but I just need some detailed instructions. Anyone know if this is available? I doubt if this type of repair would be found in a manual or I would buy one.

I have a standard solder gun and an iron. Is there a specific type of solder or tool for this repair? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

jubsveedub
12-11-2008, 07:02 PM
i would honestly suggest to you, replacing the cluster its self find one at the scrap yard for around 30 bucks with similar millage and just install and no headaches and as far as i know its only small led bulbs that light the cluster like most instument clusters

Add your comment to this topic!