Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

oil changes

sassygramma
11-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Hey Ya'll

I have a 2007 Cobalt LS bought new in Jan. 2007 with 15 miles (7 of them I put on during test drive). Right now I am at 8410 miles. I did do the oil change at 1500, 4500, and 7500 miles give or take a few miles. I had a guy tell me to change it every 3 months no matter what the mileage. My question is, do I change the oil at every 3000 miles, or should I use the 3 month time frame, since I don't put many miles on?
TY

old_master
11-21-2008, 04:42 PM
3 months or 3,000 miles, whatever comes first.

cmhj2000
11-22-2008, 08:50 AM
The old 3K 3 month theme is so old it's not even funny any more.

Your vehicle should have GMs OLM "Oil Life Monitor". See if it does. If so then you can change it by that. In my case with my 07 LT I change it about every 10 months or so.

I do use Amsoil but even so my oil changes still come in around 7-8K miles a bit under a year apart and the OLM reading is around 20-25% when I do it.

cmhj2000
11-22-2008, 09:02 AM
The old 3K 3 month theme is so old it's not even funny any more.

Your vehicle should have GMs OLM "Oil Life Monitor". See if it does. If so then you can change it by that. In my case with my 07 LT I change it about every 10 months or so.

I do use Amsoil but even so my oil changes still come in around 7-8K miles a bit under a year apart and the OLM reading is around 20-25% when I do it.

Wanted to add,

Check your owners manual. If people would take 15 minutes to study their manuals, 95% of their questions would normally have been asked. :popcorn:

SLJ2137694
11-23-2008, 01:11 PM
If your car is equipped with an "oil life monitor", use that as an indication when to change your oil. Use a synthetic engine oil and you can even extend your interval beyond what the OLM says. Unless your engine came from the factory with synthetic engine oil, remember that the OLM will be calibrated for petroleum based oils.

sassygramma
11-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Wanted to add,

Check your owners manual. If people would take 15 minutes to study their manuals, 95% of their questions would normally have been asked. :popcorn:
cmhj2000, I want to tyvm for your input on reading the owners manual. I may be female, but I am very capable of reading, and it states to go by what's shown on the DIC, but at least once every year, and if the oil life monitor is accidentally reset, then it must be changed within 3000 miles of last oil change. The reason I asked in the first place is since I don't put that many miles on (average of about 4300 miles a year), I wanted some confirmation on what the tech told me at last oil change. And as you can see, what is shown in the manual is a little different than what the tech told me.

To the others who answered, ty for your input without a cutdown.

cmhj2000
11-24-2008, 08:53 PM
cmhj2000, I want to tyvm for your input on reading the owners manual. I may be female, but I am very capable of reading, and it states to go by what's shown on the DIC, but at least once every year, and if the oil life monitor is accidentally reset, then it must be changed within 3000 miles of last oil change. The reason I asked in the first place is since I don't put that many miles on (average of about 4300 miles a year), I wanted some confirmation on what the tech told me at last oil change. And as you can see, what is shown in the manual is a little different than what the tech told me.

To the others who answered, ty for your input without a cutdown.

No cut down intended. Having been in the service business for 35 years, I've seen the issue of not reading the info available way too many times.

Also, having now seen you are aware of the DIC, which wasn't dislcosed in your inital post, you will find it can be used with confidence.

If you do a lot of very short trip driving, you may wish to take the DIC % readout with a bit of caution.

Good luck

rodeo02
12-06-2008, 03:07 PM
If you do a lot of very short trip driving, you may wish to take the DIC % readout with a bit of caution.

Good luck

Right on. I know on my 2007 Cobalt, per the DIC, I could easily go 10,000mi+ between oil changes. I can't quite bring myself to do that since I like to get under & check things out (mechanically) more often that that. What I do now is follow the DIC down to the high-mid teens (maybe around 16% oil life) then do an oil/filter change. That's usually around 7500mi or 6mo for me. The Cobalt is a snap to do an oil change on if you don't mind DIY.

Joel

lt2000
01-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Ihave a 2005 buick lesabre,and it doesn't appear to have the oil life monitor.I always thought that all of gm's late model had that feather.

gary

rodeo02
01-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Ihave a 2005 buick lesabre,and it doesn't appear to have the oil life monitor.I always thought that all of gm's late model had that feather.

gary

Gary, check your manual. Many GMs have just an 'idot light' on the dash that acts like an OLM. Basically just lights up when it calculates an oil change is needed. I know on my 2005 Trailblazer the light was an orange/yellow oil can with a wrench across it.

Joel

Add your comment to this topic!