Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help would be appreciated

ryan455
11-03-2008, 08:04 PM
I have a few issues/questions that I am interested in knowing if anyone else had these problems or could give me some kind of advice. I have a 2002 Cavalier 2.2 automatic.

-When going down a hill the rpm's drop dramatically and almost feels like its struggling

-the brakes are really touchy if I just tap them I feel like im going to go through the windshield

-when I make a turn there is a weird noise in the steering wheel nothing clunking or anything just a noise that is off and on

-When it's windy outside I can really feel it and it blows my car around quite a bit. I've asked other people with the same car about this problem and they dont have it.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Schrade
11-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Any codes?

Any loping at idle when warm?

muff34
11-05-2008, 11:00 AM
-when I make a turn there is a weird noise in the steering wheel nothing clunking or anything just a noise that is off and on

-When it's windy outside I can really feel it and it blows my car around quite a bit. I've asked other people with the same car about this problem and they dont have it.

Check your power steering fluid.

Windy- Theses cars are light and wind does affect them. It is all in how the driver can adapt to conditions ,maybe other drivers do not notice it like you do.

J-Ri
11-05-2008, 04:07 PM
I have a few issues/questions that I am interested in knowing if anyone else had these problems or could give me some kind of advice. I have a 2002 Cavalier 2.2 automatic.

1) When going down a hill the rpm's drop dramatically and almost feels like its struggling

2) the brakes are really touchy if I just tap them I feel like im going to go through the windshield

3) when I make a turn there is a weird noise in the steering wheel nothing clunking or anything just a noise that is off and on

4) When it's windy outside I can really feel it and it blows my car around quite a bit. I've asked other people with the same car about this problem and they dont have it.

1- Try cleaning the throttle body, and especially the IAC valve.
2- The only real possibility is the brake booster boosting too much... but honestly I can't say I've ever heard anyone say their brakes work too well before... not really any mechanical malfunction that causes that condition.
3- Like was said, check the fluid. You may want to have it flushed if it's dark. A flush is cheap, a rack or pump isn't!
4- Check the sway bar, struts, suspension bushings, and even the alignment... but these are light cars. Mine is blown around a LOT more than my previous small cars (a Beretta and a Grand Am)

Add your comment to this topic!