Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Serpentine Belt on a Jetta V6

Ed_Strong
08-06-2008, 12:58 AM
A guy at work told me he needed it replaced on his 2001 (or 2003) VW Jetta V6 by a mechanic I told him to buy the belt and do it himself and save the cash.

He's afraid he might screw it up so he asked me to do it for him. I've never worked on a Jetta before so I was wondering if the procedure is the same (loosen tensioner, remove and replace belt) as domestics vehicles or do I need any special tools or procedures to get the job done right.

Also, he offered to pay me, so how much will it be fare to charge for this? His Mechanic wanted $150 and I was thinking smoething like $30 but not sure...Thanks for any help

veedubmechanic
08-06-2008, 09:50 PM
replace the tensoiner (95.00 ebay) at the same time as the belt (40.00 dealer)

Its quite simple, cut the old belt, remove the 3 10mm bolts that hold the tensioner to the head. Install new belt (make sure you put it arround the crank first, it has a lip and a bolt at the back that the belt catches on some times). install a M8 x 80 bolt into the new tensioner and tension it down and bolt the tensioner to the engine. after the new belt is on remove the bolt to put tension on the belt.

Shouldnt take more than 30min to do. Dont do just the belt because the tensioner WILL fail w/in 6mo and take out the new belt.

Scrapper
08-06-2008, 10:01 PM
just curious why you want them to buy new tensioner?

New2GasEfficiency
09-20-2008, 11:30 PM
The tensionor will go out, last year i replaced my belt with a fancy expensive one so i wouldnt have to mess with it again any time soon. 3 weeks later the tensionor failed while i was on the highway causing the belt to fray into about 10 different strands causing a real mess. i had to take 2 pulleys off just to get all the mess out. i replaced everything and soon after my water pump went out. so if your over 75,000 miles than a new water pump wouldnt be a bad idea either. but that would take a whole day. dont mean to scare ya just warning you.

Add your comment to this topic!