Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Once again, a couple of questions from me about the isuzu. :D

AlphaWolf56
07-19-2008, 01:49 AM
So I've been thinking lately, and I really want to put a lift on my car, and I want to make the suspention like this (http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c337/Gizmo420/Moab%20ZuZoo%20X%202007/Img_0447.jpg)(taken from Gizmo42's photobucket), where when you go on rock lets say the axel bends like that. As far as the lift goes I was thinking atleast 6 inches.. Something about a 12inches would be hot! :D I guess you can say I'd love to drive a car that looks like a beast on the streets. I was wondering if by installing a large lift do you automatically get your axels to bend like that or do you need two different components to get a lift and a bending axel. How much woudl a decent lift cost?

My other question was one concerning the engine. What kind of engines fit in a rodeo? Rodeo 1999 w/ 3.2L V6 to be exact. I know someone who drives a trooper and got in a small accident. Well he hit a tree or something, and yeah the car is totalled because the value of isuzus have come down and the insuranse wont pay for the repair and will only give him a couple thousand for the car being totalled.. I think the Trooper has a V8, would I be able to put that in my car? How about other components from the trooper? such as seats, couple of other things, and basically keep the trooper as a back up for parts.

My last question is concerning rust damage. I can see some parts of my car rusting and I'd like to keep that to a minimal level and prevent the rust from spreading and prevent unrusted parts from rusting. How should i go with this?

Thanks for reading, and your help will be appriciated!

Cat Fuzz
07-19-2008, 12:51 PM
The suspension you pointed out in the pic is probably an extreme modification with a lot of aftermarket, non-stock parts.

The Troopers came with the 3.2L V-6 and some came with a 3.5L V-6. No Troopers had stock V-8's in them. I have heard of people putting the 3.5L V-6 into their Rodeos but I'm not sure how much work it would take.

Gizmo42
07-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Travis put several grand (probably around $5k) into making his look like that. And that was with a friend of his doing the work, not paying a shop. Basically cut out all the stock suspension and custom build all new suspension with non stock axles. The most reasonable lift you'll get on stock suspension parts is 3" which is what I have, and I still had to trim the fenders and lower the rear bump stops to fit 32's. You can go up to about 5" on a 2nd gen rodeo but you'll have almost no down travel in the front.

No isuzus had v8's the largest was the 3.5 v6 and that would require replacing the wiring and computer systems for the 3.5, there's alot thats different on them. Not worth it for the extra 10 hp. I know 1 person that put a ford v8 in his amigo. After 6 yrs it finally runs but he still has more to do on it.

Rust is difficult. Once it starts it just keeps going. Depending on where it is you can slow it down but it'll come back.

AlphaWolf56
07-19-2008, 11:46 PM
I just came back to this thread and I realized my numbers were off. I meant to say I want atleast 3 inches of lift, 6 would ideal. But hm... I will go to a shop and see what kind of estimates they will give me.

AlphaWolf56
07-19-2008, 11:55 PM
I dont know why I cant edit my posts but yeah, I was on ebay looking at what kind of stuff they had for my rodeo and I see alot of this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2in1-PERFORMANCE-CHIP-ISUZU-RODEO-1991-2004-2003-2002_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33597QQihZ012QQite mZ220257564704QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW) I'm sure a chip can give you such results, but Ive seen other ones that claim to rais your HP by like 20 and increase fuel effeciency by a couple of miles per gallon.. Do these things actually work or what? Also I've come across many of these, do these help increase fuel effeciency or no? link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GAS-FUEL-SAVER-Isuzu-Amigo-Rodeo-Oasis-Trooper_W0QQitemZ360071037074QQcmdZViewItem?hash=i tem360071037074&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318)

Gizmo42
07-20-2008, 12:06 AM
Most ppl get the stuff for lifts from independent4x.com Matt has great customer service and owns isuzus himself so knows alot about them. Thats where I got my lift parts from. Lifting 2nd gen rodeos is pretty easy up to 3". Took about 3hrs each for the first 2 I did. The 3rd one took about 6 hrs but most of that time was fighting with the old shocks trying to get them off.

Those ebay things are crap and a waste of money. The chips just fool the computer into thinking the air is colder then it is so it runs richer, eventually the computer looks at the other sensors and compensates so the net effect is nothing. The tornado things are equally useless, been tested many times with no gain.

If you are using firefox 3 it doesnt like the edit function on this site. You can still edit though by right clicking on the edit button then clicking "open in new tab".

AlphaWolf56
07-21-2008, 08:30 AM
hmm... How long do isuzus last before they start falling apart? I have about 95k on mine, wondering if it's worth my money to suit it up.

Gizmo42
07-21-2008, 10:21 AM
All depends on how well you take care of it and where you live. I've seen some die in under 50k miles because they let it run out of oil (you do check oil every time you fill with gas right?). 2nd gen rodeos are known for developing an oil burning problem if you dont keep the internals clean. If you live where they use alot of salt on the roads the frame will rust out. I bought mine with 88k miles on it and did the lift around 100k. Have about 108k on it now. Ramblin Fever has a '97 with about 180k miles on it and it still looks new. But they dont use salt on the roads here, just sand/gravel/small boulders and magnesium chloride.

Add your comment to this topic!