Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Enable Governor

03sungt
06-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Im new hear but I come with a problem. The kind friend had my car before me. I bought it off him and he actually disabled the governor. If any one would know please how to re enable it. It is a 2003 Sunfire GT. Thanks

03sungt
06-04-2008, 12:13 AM
If no one is able to tell me would anyone know where I can find the information. I would like to turn things back to stock settings before I start adding on.

jakegday
06-04-2008, 07:50 AM
oh i think your in as good of a place as your going to find with that kind of inquiry

how was it disabled? we NEED to know that to answer that question. theres a couple different ways, and they are all completely different processes
also, why do you want it re enabled? its not gonna be any safer. a 108mph wreck is just as bad as a 120mph wreck....

03sungt
06-04-2008, 04:50 PM
I actually have no idea how it was done. I know your probably asking yourself the question why dont you ask your friend. Problem being we are not so much friends now after I bought this car of him. Right now I want everything back to stock on the car. I want to put the governor back on. Like I said though Im not sure how it was done. In any way would I be able to reverse the processes in which you disable the governor and just see what one works? Or would that end up creating other problems? Also is there any ways that would make it impossible to renable the governor or are they all reversable.

Thanks

jakegday
06-04-2008, 04:57 PM
i cant believe i missed this the first time, but lets call it a speed limiter. only tractors and lawn mowers have governors

since you cant tell me much, i cant tell you much.

theres only 1 way to disable it legally, and that is to use a computer to hook it up to your cars computer, (you can buy the computer program for $600) then you "get in" your cars computer and start making changes, one of those changes being to remove the speed limiter. to put it back on youll need to have it hooked back up to a comptuer and have that change reversed. a performance shop might be able to do that for you for a hefty fee.
since that is the only legal way, that is the only way im going to elaborate on, (at the moment anyways)

how do you KNOW its disabled? how fast have you made the car go since you've had it?

03sungt
06-04-2008, 05:07 PM
I don't want to seem like a complete idiot here when talking about my cars cause I do know some things. Just there are odds and ends I am trying to learn still. I dont think there are any car shops in town that would be able to help me out with the issue. I appologize for calling it a governor too i never realized really just always what I called it.

jakegday
06-04-2008, 05:34 PM
do you KNOW it is disabled??? if so, how??

i still dont see a point in re enabling it, as long as you obey the law you'll never even need it...

odd question: does your odometer work? does it count up the miles as you go?

03sungt
06-04-2008, 05:46 PM
I know it disable because my friend has an 02 cavalier and it cuts out at around 175km. I noticed my limiter did not work when my car accelerated easily past 180km and kept climbing. I just wanted to back to stock even though I obey the law i still know the car is not how it was sold from the dealership. Im just picky I guess. I just figured there would be a way to reverse the process.

And when my car travels distances my odometer does not go up, actually I cant see it cause it is really dark or bascially not working.

tyler

jakegday
06-04-2008, 07:30 PM
well since your speedometer works, i have to assume it was done the legal way. which means you'll just have to have your cars computer reprogrammed, like i mentioned earlier

Classicrocjunkie
06-04-2008, 07:35 PM
There are several ways to do this. So without knowing what he did, I'm sorry but I cannot help you reverse it. Most people cut a certain wire and place a toggle switch in line so you can turn it off/on.

But this kills the speedo all together. Did you friend ever mention the word HP tuners at all?

03sungt
06-04-2008, 08:09 PM
No he never mentioned auto tuners at all. Im really not sure what he did to it. I highly doubt that he took it somewhere to get it legally re programmed I dont know if anyone in my town would have the gm programmer. Obviously other than the GM dealer who would not do it.

Classicrocjunkie
06-05-2008, 12:04 AM
GM uses the Tech II device.

This other program controls all your power train functions and allows you to override things and turn things off.

EFI live the same thing, and these programs are available to anyone.

Honestly, Just leave it the way it is man.

Mangoamerican
06-05-2008, 05:19 PM
yeah, if your speedo works, then im sure they hooked it up to a computer. i would leave it as it is. just use the manual speed limiter (lay off the gas!)

oh, btw.. if you are trying to weasel how to turn your speed limiter off out of one of us.. good luck!

03sungt
06-06-2008, 09:19 PM
yeah that exctly what i am trying to do. You caught me, yeah guilty. anyway thanks for making assumptions and all the help too though. Thanks guys that actually helped me out.

JStumpalump150
06-06-2008, 09:38 PM
oh, btw.. if you are trying to weasel how to turn your speed limiter off out of one of us.. good luck!

lmfao, that what i was thinking the whole time i was reading this thread :rofl:

JaysZ24
06-06-2008, 09:55 PM
i really don't get the point of trying to disable it why the hell do you need to go that fast anyway

03sungt
06-06-2008, 10:01 PM
yeah sorry that i wanted my car to be completley stock. but yeah anyways

jakegday
06-06-2008, 10:46 PM
anyways, yeah, the question was answered. by the information you've been able to give us, the only answer were able to give you is that your gonna have to have your cars computer reflahsed. you'll either have to take it to a performance shop, or buy the comptuer program and appropriate cables for several hundred dollars and do it yourself

JStumpalump150
06-06-2008, 11:23 PM
i would like to know one good reason to have the speed limiter put back on... and to make it completely stock is not a good reason.

jakegday
06-07-2008, 07:35 AM
my thoughts exactly

this thread is now lock worthy (please, someone....)

JaysZ24
06-07-2008, 07:37 PM
i would like to know one good reason to have the speed limiter put back on... and to make it completely stock is not a good reason.

ya its just a BS excuse to try to figure a way to disable it

Classicrocjunkie
06-07-2008, 08:29 PM
I posted the how to ( old version installing an inline switch) up for like 8 hrs one day then removed it. Only one member got the information on here I think before I yanked it down. But from what I have seen of him on here since then, isn't stupid enough to do it, nor willing to lend out the info.

But that was before HP tuners was available to us. When I get my motor dyno tuned, I am going to have it raised to 140mph with a 7K Red line. I have more than enough reasons to justify my needs for it if anyone wants to flame on.

JStumpalump150
06-08-2008, 01:30 AM
but your car is heavily modded so you have reason to do that stuff, this guy is trying to play us all but saying he is reversing it when there is no good reason you would want to do that just to have a 100% stock car

Add your comment to this topic!