Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

towing with my 96 Trooper

copter steve
05-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Hey you Guys!!!

I am currently looking at purchasing a 17' travel trailer. Gross vehicle weight is under 5000 lbs. I am looking to purchase a load leveler hitch and a tranny cooler. Any suggestions on the hitch? Also does anyone have any tips on hooking up a tranny cooler?

Most of the time it would be short hauls to the coast or the mountains.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Copter Steve

Ramblin Fever
05-23-2008, 01:03 AM
If the total weight, with gear, water, etc is over 4,700# you're pushing your luck...in my opinion.

I have a '97 Rodeo that used to haul a 4,000# boat, fully loaded...I wouldn't dream of going over that with the 3.2L V6 and GM 4L30-E auto tranny combo that we both share.

The weight of these rigs can not stop anything heavier, MOST definitely on a mountain pass, and even with trailer brakes, you have the possible wind factor danger.

If this is a route you take, make sure that truck and trailer is equipped with a trailer brake set-up, keep that tranny in 3rd gear, possibly 2nd if you're climbing (do NOT overwork that tranny, you will fry it very easily)...and remember the auto tranny's in these trucks are rated for only a 3,000# capacity, of which the Trooper and Rodeo already outweigh the design of what the tranny is built for.

With that in mind, make sure to do very frequent partial ATF fluid changes, and do not flush this tranny.

Once you hit a good hill, with a load heavier then 4,000#, your power is gonna drop dramatically, you will literally be walking up that mountain.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but you are asking your 12yr old truck to tackle a load that weighs as much, if not more then it does. I stopped towing with mine 2yrs ago...just too much wear and tear on brakes, shocks, etc, but I do still have my original tranny, changed atf fluid every 15k miles.

Remember your cooling system is going to be drastically hammered as well.

Add your comment to this topic!